• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Input requested on possible changes to simplified methylation protocol

dbkita

When I had both chronic NE overload from an overactive autoimmune disease and horrendous glutamate overstimulation because of the specific nature of the autoimmune disease, I never slept more than 2 hours a night (even with heavy sleeping meds) for months at a time over a three year period. It is not a combination to fool with. If both are strongly active at the same time they will cripple a person physically, mentally, and emotionally. I would advise trying to figure which one is most severe and trying to do something about it asap. Relying on raising glutathione levels is like using a beebee gun to take on a Sherman tank if one or both of those problems are in play, at least based on my own experiences.

xjhuez

When I had both chronic NE overload from an overactive autoimmune disease and horrendous glutamate overstimulation because of the specific nature of the autoimmune disease, I never slept more than 2 hours a night (even with heavy sleeping meds) for months at a time over a three year period. It is not a combination to fool with. If both are strongly active at the same time they will cripple a person physically, mentally, and emotionally. I would advise trying to figure which one is most severe and trying to do something about it asap. Relying on raising glutathione levels is like using a beebee gun to take on a Sherman tank if one or both of those problems are in play, at least based on my own experiences.

It definitely can be crippling. I'm used to poor sleep at this point. If I keep my room completely dark and am very careful with what I eat after 5pm then most nights I do good enough to get by.

During the day I can take 750mg GABA to dull my mental issues, but it also dulls my cognitive abilities. NAC seemed to have a slight glutathione boosting action, but nothing major, and I think it's chelated a lot of my minerals and is making my hair start to grey. And if Ray Peat is right (that's a huge IF) NAC might also be the reason my thyroid T3 & T4 came back messed up.

The mb12 I started recently seems to be helping me physically, with a slight uptick in energy, but not mentally. Well see what the addition of mfolate and l-carnitine fumarate brings.

Lotus97

When I had both chronic NE overload from an overactive autoimmune disease and horrendous glutamate overstimulation because of the specific nature of the autoimmune disease, I never slept more than 2 hours a night (even with heavy sleeping meds) for months at a time over a three year period. It is not a combination to fool with. If both are strongly active at the same time they will cripple a person physically, mentally, and emotionally.
It definitely can be crippling. I'm used to poor sleep at this point. If I keep my room completely dark and am very careful with what I eat after 5pm then most nights I do good enough to get by.
I can attest to that. I made my biggest recovery during a period where I was consistently getting at least 10-11 hours of sleep for over a year. I gained 30 lbs and had high cholesterol due to my sleep meds so now I'm only getting 6-7 hours a night since switching to a different type of medication. I guess I should be thankful it's not even worse, but I don't think even methylation is going to be enough to get me out of this hole unless I can improve my sleep quality at least a little bit.

dbkita

I can attest to that. I made my biggest recovery during a period where I was consistently getting at least 10-11 hours of sleep for over a year. I gained 30 lbs and had high cholesterol due to my sleep meds so now I'm only getting 6-7 hours a night since switching to a different type of medication. I guess I should be thankful it's not even worse, but I don't think even methylation is going to be enough to get me out of this hole unless I can improve my sleep quality at least a little bit.
I think sleep while important will only really happen when you correct your underlying problem. In my case I get only 5-6 hours now and I would like more but it is better than 7-8 hours I had for awhile all drugged up. Sleep alone will not fix your problem though it is crucial to healing once the core problem is addressed imo.

Lotus97

I think sleep while important will only really happen when you correct your underlying problem. In my case I get only 5-6 hours now and I would like more but it is better than 7-8 hours I had for awhile all drugged up. Sleep alone will not fix your problem though it is crucial to healing once the core problem is addressed imo.
You're probably right since I did suffer a big relapse afterwards. Before that happened though, the symptoms I mentioned in this thread improved a lot. In addition to those symptoms(most likely caused at least in part by adrenal dysfunction), the pain in my hands and feet also improved a lot and so did my MCS/sensitivity to smells.

dbkita

You're probably right since I did suffer a big relapse afterwards. Before that happened though, the symptoms I mentioned in this thread improved a lot. In addition to those symptoms(most likely caused at least in part by adrenal dysfunction), the pain in my hands and feet also improved a lot and so did my MCS/sensitivity to smells.
I am a big believer that things like adrenal exhaustion and mcs all get worse when the core problem is at its strongest. In 2009 I blacked out multiple times and my pain and mcs was surreal. I had a medical intervention that helped me immensely but in spring 2011 I relapsed and was back in the hospital. At that time my mcs came raging back. It was not till I finally got my diagnosis that I turned the corner from suffering and survival to at least living. My campaign since then has to move beyond that to functionality and that has been about the methylation, krebs cycle support, and T3. I think we have our own specific reasons or triggers that brought us to these forums.

But I while I always urge caution I urge at the same time people be proactive and look really hard at what there root cause or comorbidities that are holding them back. I think methylation and atp cycle are about the body being to do some of the healing itself. But I still believe each of us needs to find the other missing pieces as well. The trap is the worse we feel the less we are able to be proactive and the less we can process mentally. The better we get the more we could do but the less inclination we want to spend time on those aspects. Yet time marches forward. Find the core. Treat it or kill it. Other things can help but they won't solve it. Good luck.

dbkita

Btw, olive leaf extract has been wonderful for bringing down NE for me.
That affects NE transport right? Can't remember exactly.

That's great you can tolerate it. Some people love it and some people hate it.

Sadly it is moot for me since I am highly allergic to olive trees with a crazy high IgE (no idea why).

adreno

PR activist
That affects NE transport right? Can't remember exactly..

Yes, it looks like the hydroxytyrosol in it can enhance NE transporter function:
Concomitant with increased norepinephrine transporter activity, hydroxytyrosol caused a decrease of both spontaneous and evoked norepinephrine release, indicating that it affects pre-existing plasma membrane-associated norepinephrine transporter, rather than the incorporation of novel norepinephrine transporter molecules into the plasma membrane.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18848665

Lotus97

Yes, it looks like the hydroxytyrosol in it can enhance NE transporter function:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18848665
If it's the hydroxytyrosal which lowers NE then olive fruit extract would also be effective in that regard. I get some olive fruit extract from Life Extension fish oil and I also eat whole olives sometimes (I hate olive oil though). I think maybe I'll also start taking olive leaf extract as well.

In vitro experiments have shown hydroxytyrosal to induce mitochondrial biogenesis. And hydroxytyrosal also increases glutathione peroxidase, glutathione reductase and glutathione S-transferase.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20166143
Hydroxytyrosol (HTy) is a natural polyphenol abundant in olive oil, which possesses multiple biological actions. Particularly, HTy has cytoprotective activity against oxidative-stress-induced cell damage, but the underlying mechanisms of action remain unclear. Here, we have investigated the molecular mechanism involved in the protection exerted by HTy on tert-butyl hydroperoxide-induced damage in human HepG2 liver cells. Treatment of HepG2 cells with HTy increased the expression and the activity of glutathione-related enzymes such as glutathione peroxidase, glutathione reductase and glutathione S-transferase.

Christopher

Btw, olive leaf extract has been wonderful for bringing down NE for me.

Hey Adreno - almost exactly a year ago you stated: OLE enhances the norepinephrine transporter, which effective lowers norepinephrine levels. Good for some, bad for others. Personally, it makes me feel terrible.

Can you explain what happened? I have reason to believe NE is implicated in my anxiety issues and inability to relax - I don't know if it's excess or deficiency or something more complicated. Maybe I should trial OLE and see how I feel.

adreno

PR activist
Hey Adreno - almost exactly a year ago you stated: OLE enhances the norepinephrine transporter, which effective lowers norepinephrine levels. Good for some, bad for others. Personally, it makes me feel terrible.

Can you explain what happened? I have reason to believe NE is implicated in my anxiety issues and inability to relax - I don't know if it's excess or deficiency or something more complicated. Maybe I should trial OLE and see how I feel.
I think what happened is that my state has changed since then. Or it might have something to do with other supps I'm taking. They all interact in certain ways, so it's really the cumulative effects that count. Or perhaps it was giving me too much of a die-off back then, who knows. I couldn't tolerate it back then, but I can now.