• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Input requested on possible changes to simplified methylation protocol

Gavman

Dan,

What you say makes alot of sense. And its vital for someones recovery to take health and pace into their own hands, especially with such a complex problem. I take supplements i want and what im ready to try. Whenever i saw naturopaths and nutritionists and tried it their way, i felt crap. Listening to ourselves is important!

juniemarie

aHas Rich changed to his new protocol yet.......I have not heard any further talk about this so I guess we are still on the same one. Rich can you update us. I need to reorder supplements and was waiting to hear if there would be a change

Googsta

Doing Well
Same here Junie.

Rich said:
Next, MethylMate B. This supplement contains methylfolate, which is the form of folate needed by methionine synthase. I am considering eliminating this one, because the Thorne Basic Nutrients V contains methylfolate.
In that case I figure I could just go ahead with Solgar Metafolin instead? I already have some here.

Holistic Health has been out of Methylmate B for way too long.

adreno

PR activist
Same here Junie.

Rich said:

In that case I figure I could just go ahead with Solgar Metafolin instead? I already have some here.

Holistic Health has been out of Methylmate B for way too long.
Right, you can use Solgar instead.

3 things come to my mind. Hope this is of some help. It´s basicly some references to few things I have been reading. Thanks Rich for your wonderful work and interest in our wellbeing. Have been 4 weeks on a methylation protocol based on yours (can´t get the Holistic Heal supplements where I live so I had to research and found Solgar and Jarrows etc. and some other supplements. I use your amounts ). I´m doing this with my doctor.

1) Thorne Basic Nutrients V has lots of Niacin (
Niacin (130 mg as Niacinamide and 30 mg as Niacin)
160 mg
). Have read some stuff of Dr. Ben Lynch´s where he says that Methylation is quenched by taking Niacin ( http://mthfr.net/methylfolate-side-effects/2012/03/01/ ).

2) Thorne Basic Nutrients V has no Trimethylglysine (some 100 mg. Choline though).

3) I wonder about the quality/type of Methylfolate in the Thorne supplement - don´t have a clue what it is but at the same time I feel secure in knowing Solgar Metafolin is from Merck (Some thoughts here: http://mthfr.net/l-methylfolate-methylfolate-5-mthf/2012/04/05/ ).

btw. Would love to buy a Rabbit Mountain supplement brand :)

Thanks Phoenix Rising

Gisli Iceland

juniemarie

Thanks Gisli I wish Rich would come and give more info as to where he is with his thinking on this change.........he must be still mulling it over. Has anyone changed to the "possibly new protocol" I'm getting low on stuff and need to reorder.
I'm excited and thankful Rich continues to think and tweak and guide us. I know I am better since being on his protocol for a little over a yr. and look forward to any changes he makes. I didn't really do a careful comparison but it seems like if the new protocol stays the same as his recent post that its a bit more expensive than the present protocol. Maths not a big favorite of mine so just figured I would wait and see what Rich finally settles on before I put the old grey cells through the trauma of calculating it all.

maddietod

I switched my vitamins and minerals to individual pills a year ago, to eliminate folic acid. I've experimented a lot with the B12, most recently changing from 2,000 mcg perque hb12 to 2,000mcg Enzymatic Therapy b12 Infusion, mb12. In 2 days I needed more potassium (very stiff neck and shoulder), which implies that methylation kicked in.

I get metafolin in my B complex. I haven't switched out the lecithin yet.

caledonia

I recently tried hydroxycobalamin and couldn't tolerate it. It was making me feel wired off and on, then after a few days, stressed out all the time, so i discontinued.

I'm doing fine with the methylcobalmin and adenosylcobalamin in the Thorne multi. Even though that oral form is not supposed to be as absorbable, I'm getting significant relief from my MCS on just 2 capsules.

Lotus97

I recently tried hydroxycobalamin and couldn't tolerate it. It was making me feel wired off and on, then after a few days, stressed out all the time, so i discontinued.

I'm doing fine with the methylcobalmin and adenosylcobalamin in the Thorne multi. Even though that oral form is not supposed to be as absorbable, I'm getting significant relief from my MCS on just 2 capsules.

I've been experiencing a wired feeling too and I've mostly been taking hydroxycobalamin (1000-2000mcg/day). I chose this because in Rich's most recent protocol he called it a “gentler” approach to lifting the partial methylation cycle block so I wasn't sure if it was causing problems for me or not.
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ation-protocol-august-25-2012-revision.19050/
I had also considered changing the form of B12 to methylcobalamin. Some PWMEs do need to use this form, particularly if their glutathione and/or S-adenosylmethionine are very low. However, use of hydroxocobalamin is a “gentler” approach to lifting the partial methylation cycle block, and many PWMEs need such an approach. Use of hydroxocobalamin also keeps the cells in control of the rate of the methylation cycle, preventing it from being overdriven, which slows the rise of glutathione. So I have decided to stay with hydroxocobalamin as the first form of B12 to try. For people who do not get a response from the SMP within a couple of months, switching to methylcobalamin would be an option to try. Another option would be to try adding some adenosylcobalamin (dibencozide).

caledonia

Hi Lotus. I found out it was the methylfolate in the multi helping with the MCS. I doubt if the B12 in the multi is doing much of anything at all. It's only supposed to absorb about 2% by the stomach route. I've tried liquid sublingual in both the hydroxycobalamin and methylcobalamin forms. Both make me wired.

However, I finally was able to tolerate methylcobalamin, but only 0.5mcg! That's right - 1/2 of one mcg.

I believe this is due to the CBS mutation I have. Any methyl groups go down the CBS drain and cause excitotoxicity. Yasko's answer is to hold off on B12 for now, and treat the CBS problem by lowering levels of sulfur and ammonia. Once that occurs, then methyl donors should be a lot better tolerated.

Yasko says it will take several months to resolve CBS and so far this has been the case. My urine sulfate has gone from 1200 to 800, but now it's been stuck there for a long time. I need to get to 400 or less.

Rich's protocol doesn't really deal with CBS head on. His solution is to reduce the methyl donors to extremely small amounts and try to work up from there. Once the other parts of the cycle get resolved, then the CBS drain will resolve itself.

So I'm doing a little of both - reducing sulfur and ammonia (the head on approach), and also taking the extremely small amount of methylcobalamin. I assume I will also know when CBS is resolved when I'm able to greatly increase methylcobalamin.

caledonia

One other point - I finally resolved my dilemma on whether to take the Thorne multi or the Yasko multi. I'm taking both!

They each have their good points. The methylfolate in the Thorne helps with MCS, plus there are more nutrients in higher amounts than Yasko's (General Neurological Health Formula). Yasko's multi has TMG to stimulate the "backdoor/shortcut" pathway. It's helping me with a bit of energy.

Sooo.....I'm taking two Thorne's and working my way up to two Yasko's per day.

dbkita

However, I finally was able to tolerate methylcobalamin, but only 0.5mcg! That's right - 1/2 of one mcg.

Did you mean 0.5 mg or 500 mcg? How can you get 0,5 mcg? Are you doing elaborate dilution? You get far more than 0.5 mcg in your diet. Far more even though it is oral.

dbkita

I've been experiencing a wired feeling too and I've mostly been taking hydroxycobalamin (1000-2000mcg/day). I chose this because in Rich's most recent protocol he called it a “gentler” approach to lifting the partial methylation cycle block so I wasn't sure if it was causing problems for me or not.
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ation-protocol-august-25-2012-revision.19050/

I have had some issues on hydroxy B12 when I have tried it a few times too.

Maybe you could do an experiment with some mb12 and see what happens? It might not alleviate anything but sometimes we have to try something to get out of a bad state, right? 1000 mcg of mb12 in a sublingual should be fine to try at least in that it should not hurt you.

Best of Luck!

Lotus97

I have had some issues on hydroxy B12 when I have tried it a few times too.

Maybe you could do an experiment with some mb12 and see what happens? It might not alleviate anything but sometimes we have to try something to get out of a bad state, right? 1000 mcg of mb12 in a sublingual should be fine to try at least in that it should not hurt you.

Best of Luck!

Thanks. I tried methylcobalamin first and that made me wired too. I think partially because it's supposed to mobilize mercury, but it could have been overmethylating too. It's sort of a moot point what's causing the symptoms because either way they're not good.

I forgot to mention that I was also getting 500-1000mcg of Dibencozide/Adenosylcobalamin from a Source Naturals B Complex sublingual which also has active B6 and B2. On top of those, there was also a period for about 5 days where I was taking 800mcg of folinic acid. When I stopped the folinic I also cut back on the B12, but I think it was too little too late. I decided I'm just going to stop B12 for now until things settle down, then I'm going to go very slowly because from my experience and what I've read is that the dosages it builds up over time. I seemed to be tolerating the dosages fine in the beginning plus I've read of people taking higher doses than me, although now that I think about it Rich does say in his most recent protocol not to go over 2000 mcg with B12.

I'm really not following anyone's protocol exactly. I'm just using it for guidelines on how to take active B12 and folate. I take all my minerals separately and same thing with Vitamin E so I don't need a multiple. In regards to mitochondrial support I'm taking phosphatidyl serine, Krill oil which contain phospholipids, Coenzyme Q10, L-Carnitine, and possibly Alpha Lipoic Acid if I can tolerate it. I'm really sensitive to all my supplements now. I used to be able to take 400 mg Coenzyme Q10 and 1200mg Alpha Lipoic Acid without any problem. I also tolerated Jarrow's 1000 mcg methylcobalamin just fine. Right now I'm just taking a regular B-complex because there was a period in between methylation attempts where I was doing that and I seemed feel ok then. My body needs rest more than anything right now and it's difficult to stay in bed when I'm wired all the time. For myself I don't see methylation as a cure for everything, but rather a piece of the puzzle.

Lotus97

I forgot mention I'm also taking a lot of amino acids which is part of Rich's most recent protocol. I'll try to post all my supplements relevant to his protocol in that thread as soon as I compile a list.

I read this about absorption of B12 taken orally which suggests that low oral doses might effective if that's all a person needs although that would depend on what the absorption rate is at doses in between 1-1000mcg.
All forms of vitamin B12 — namely methylcobalamin, adenosylcobalamin (dibencozide), hydroxocobalamin and cyanocobalamin — are very poorly absorbed (<1%) in the gut in higher doses. So to get a reasonable absorption, the sublingual approach is advisable. (You can also get reasonable absorption via rectal suppositories).

Though B12 is a complicated case: for very low oral doses not more than 1 mcg, the gut absorption of B12 is around 56%, but with high doses of say 1000 mcg, the absorption drops dramatically, to less then 1%. This is because B12 absorption depends on intrinsic factor secreted by the stomach, and once you have used all the intrinsic factor for that day, you don't get further B12 absorption. Ref: 1.

I was thinking of making a liquid solution with the hydroxocobalamin because even 1/4 a tablet still has 500 mcg. With the B-complex sublingual 1/4 of a tablet only has 125 mcg of ad b12 so that might be doable as a sublingual. The other option I have is a Thorne B complex I bought that has 50 mcg of each adb12 and mb12. The only problem is that it also has 100 mcg of both folinic acid and methylfolate which might cause me problems. I could take 1/3 a capsule at a time, but then the B12 dosages might be too low. I should point out that Thorne makes 5 different B complexes so if one doesn't like the dosages I mentioned with mine there are other options.

Lotus97

160 mg
). Have read some stuff of Dr. Ben Lynch´s where he says that Methylation is quenched by taking Niacin ( http://mthfr.net/methylfolate-side-effects/2012/03/01/ ).

2) Thorne Basic Nutrients V has no Trimethylglysine (some 100 mg. Choline though).

TMG (trimethylglycine) is very cheap. I don't see a problem in buying that separately. As for Niacin it really depends on whether you're prone to under or overmethylation, but more importantly the ratio of B12/Folate to Niacin. Even if you're taking a lot of B12 and methylfolate 500 mg of Niacinamide might not be enough to quench the methylation (this is from someone much more knowledgeable about methylation than me). As I said in my above post, I prefer to take things separately because it's usually cheaper and I have more control if I want to adjust the dose. Thorne actually has a lot of multis and they're all worth checking out. Either that or a multimineral supplement + Vitamin E + B-Complex.

dbkita

TMG (trimethylglycine) is very cheap. I don't see a problem in buying that separately. As for Niacin it really depends on whether you're prone to under or overmethylation, but more importantly the ratio of B12/Folate to Niacin. Even if you're taking a lot of B12 and methylfolate 500 mg of Niacinamide might not be enough to quench the methylation (this is from someone much more knowledgeable about methylation than me). As I said in my above post, I prefer to take things separately because it's usually cheaper and I have more control if I want to adjust the dose. Thorne actually has a lot of multis and they're all worth checking out. Either that or a multimineral supplement + Vitamin E + B-Complex.

While agree that the amounts may very in their effectiveness, enough niacin or niacinamide will quench things if you over-methylate. I have found that 250 mg of niacinamide is maybe about as effective as 150 mg of niacin for me. 350-400 mg of niacin on an empty stomach knocks me out even before the flush arrives (in addition to my usual sleep stack). I use it only in emergencies when I am tinkering and accidentally over-methylate. Saved me two nights in a row over the Christmas holidays just recently when I *ahem* over-experimented on myself.

dannybex

160 mg

Excellent point. Of course we all need some niacin in our diet, but we need methyl groups too. I feel AWFUL when I take supplemental niacin or niacinamide, so I either need to increase my methyl sups to accomodate niacin, or just avoid it for now.

Symptomatic

I believe this is due to the CBS mutation I have. Any methyl groups go down the CBS drain and cause excitotoxicity. Yasko's answer is to hold off on B12 for now, and treat the CBS problem by lowering levels of sulfur and ammonia. Once that occurs, then methyl donors should be a lot better tolerated.

Yasko says it will take several months to resolve CBS and so far this has been the case. My urine sulfate has gone from 1200 to 800, but now it's been stuck there for a long time. I need to get to 400 or less.

Caledonia,

A few questions for you...I am MTHFR C677T +/- (-/- on the other two MTHFR), and also CBS C699T +/- (and -/- on both other CBS), also have many more +/- on other SNP too (no +/+ anywhere). Just got my results a few weeks ago, and haven't really dug into everything enough to know what's what.

My doctor was talking about methylcobalamin injections, but I'm thinking that's not a good step at this point. Am planning to get the HDRI functional testing done, to give me a baseline and some direction.

I also think working on the CBS issue first is prudent. Are you testing sulfate with the test strips? Do you also test sulfite, or just sulfate?

Thanks in advance!