• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Input requested on form of B12 in simplified methylation protocol

richvank

Hi, all,

Those of you who are familiar with the history of the simplified methylation protocol may recall that I initially suggested use of Perque Activated B12 Guard sublingual lozenges as the source of hydroxocobalamin in the protocol. Some people found that they needed to split these lozenges in order to lower their dosage.

Later, in an effort to make the protocol more convenient, I suggested changing to Hydroxy B12 MegaDrops as the source of hydroxocobalamin in the protocol.

I have just received a report from one person who has compared the effectiveness of the two in terms of patient response and has found that the Perque supplement was much more effective.

In view of this, I would like to receive input from any others who have compared these two supplements. Have others found this to be true, also?

As regular PR forums participants will be aware, the simplified protocol has not been effective for some PWMEs, and I have been considering changes to improve it, as I discussed in a recent post:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ges-to-simplified-methylation-protocol.17712/

In that post, I discussed changing the B12 form to methylcobalamin, and using a liquid form of it.
If the liquid forms are not as effective, I will give more consideration to use of a sublingual lozenge form of methylcobalamin.

I would appreciate receiving comments about this from people who have experience to share.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Rich

Vegas

I would agree with the assessment that the Perque is more effective than the HH Hydroxo. I also haven't been especially impressed with the HH MB12. The Perque Hydroxo & Jarrow Methyl is markedly more potent. I don't know how much of that has to do with the supplement quality itself versus the formulation differences/ability to retain the supplements in contact with the mucosal tissues so long, but the difference is obvious. My mother was able to reverse all her pernicious anemia symptoms (she apparently received a bad batch of injectable cyanocobalamin) after a few weeks of Jarrow MB12 (1 mg). I'd be wary of her taking the HH drops. The Jarrow product definitely works. Nonetheless, I still think the hydroxo has a place...esp. early on when someone first begins the protocol.

Freddd

I would agree with the assessment that the Perque is more effective than the HH Hydroxo. I also haven't been especially impressed with the HH MB12. The Perque Hydroxo & Jarrow Methyl is markedly more potent. I don't know how much of that has to do with the supplement quality itself versus the formulation differences/ability to retain the supplements in contact with the mucosal tissues so long, but the difference is obvious. My mother was able to reverse all her pernicious anemia symptoms (she apparently received a bad batch of injectable cyanocobalamin) after a few weeks of Jarrow MB12 (1 mg). I'd be wary of her taking the HH drops. The Jarrow product definitely works. Nonetheless, I still think the hydroxo has a place...esp. early on when someone first begins the protocol.

Hi Vegas,

One of the things I noticed early on is that for methylb12 at least that a couple of brands were great, most fair to poor, a few very poor. Then when I went to injectables, the same held true, some crystal mb12 is great, most mediocre and some totally ineffective, yet all pharmaceutically tested and certified as 100% mb12. Some research indicated that the mb12 produced by each variety of bacteria used commercially to brew it is a little different, unmarked unspecified differences in the molecules as it were, which carries over all the way to the final product regardless of what it is. The question that comes to mind, are there unmarked differences in the hydroxcbl molecule depending upon unknown factors? I also wonder if the same applies to adenosylb12. At the moment I have insufficient information to say so as it is so much more difficult to test by effect.

I will be posting a new titration plan for mb12 and adb12 that has pathways for the hypersensitive responder. The same methods could certainly be used for hyper-responders to hydroxycbl, and I have heard of such from some people and have a clue as to the cause and predictability of such hyper-response, which has no relationship to "over" anything. Instead it ties into the severity of the deficiency, the specific co-deficiencies, and the specific part(s) of the brain affected most. I'm am on the verge of pinning this down.

I think that using a known effective brand and titrating as needed will produce more predictable and reliable results and for the normal responder will slow down effectiveness by only a few days. Also, by making the titration to a certain benchmarks and then pausing and allowing a balancing of all the other needed factors will remove the fear of "too much" or "overmethylation" or whatever.

juniemarie

Rich whats going on with this idea to change the protocol? Its almost time for me to reorder and I am waiting to see if you will be changing the supplements