• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Infrequent chelation. Harmful or helpful?

TheChosenOne

The idea of frequent chelation is to mimize the damage done by moving around mercury.
Now, what if a person actually feels better on chelation supplements? Everytime I take a capsule of DMPS, I get almost immediate relief from mercury related symptoms.
What's behind the idea that you have to take chelation supplements frequently, besides the redistribution problem? Eventually, the mercury will be chelated out anyway.

helen1

The idea behind frequent dose chelation is that the redistribution of mercury only happens once a week when you stop chelating for a few days. This is assuming you're chelating every day. In frequent dose chelation, chelator levels stay even to keep the mercury bound to it and excreting regularly. This continues for about 4 days, then stops for a few days, which is when the mercury detaches from disappearing chelators and redistributes itself in your body.

If you're only chelating once a day, mercury attaches to it, gets excreted, then as the chelator vanishes, mercury detaches itself and redistributes itself in your body. The problem is this happens every day if you chelate only once a day.

TheChosenOne

Yes. But the fact that you feel better on it (and after it), isn't that indicative that the damage dealt by the redistribution is actually minor compared to the possible benefit?

helen1

That's interesting isn't it and could be what's happening. But the long-term consequences of mercury poisoning are pretty dire.