• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Information Commissioner's Office orders release of PACE trial data

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

alex3619

Don't forget, we're not all severely affected. On a good day I am strong, can walk about 500 metres on the level quite easily, and could easily kick over a trashcan/dustbin, but would absolutely not do it due to also being an environmentalist who abhors litter.

My 'militancy' tends to consist of scientific and factual/logical arguments. I might pick up a bit of litter as an act of angry defiance.

I was continuing the joke @SOC made. Very old ME patients in wheelchairs kicking over a trashcan in protest. ;)

Regarding the placebo effect, if the CBT GET were just placebos, then wouldnt the follow up study mean patients reported health would not have sustained and may have even fallen?

Interestingly, if cbt and get were so wonderful, why didnt the patients health improve more at the follow up study!!! If patients felt it was working, they probably would have asked for more treatment andvthey should have improved even more.

Last edited:

Bob

Regarding the placebo effect, if the CBT GET were just placebos, then wouldnt the follow up study mean patients reported health would not have sustained and may have even fallen?
It's important to look at the difference between the groups rather than the changes within a group. There are many factors that may affect changes within a group, such as natural improvements over time. Perhaps ME tends to stabilise and improve over time in a proportion of patients? Looking at the essential differences between groups, the improvements in the CBT/GET groups were not sustained.

wdb

Willingness to Share Research Data Is Related to the Strength of the Evidence and the Quality of Reporting of Statistical Results

Background
The widespread reluctance to share published research data is often hypothesized to be due to the authors' fear that reanalysis may expose errors in their work or may produce conclusions that contradict their own. However, these hypotheses have not previously been studied systematically.

Methods and Findings
We related the reluctance to share research data for reanalysis to 1148 statistically significant results reported in 49 papers published in two major psychology journals. We found the reluctance to share data to be associated with weaker evidence (against the null hypothesis of no effect) and a higher prevalence of apparent errors in the reporting of statistical results. The unwillingness to share data was particularly clear when reporting errors had a bearing on statistical significance.

(tweeted by James C.Coyne)

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Willingness to Share Research Data Is Related to the Strength of the Evidence and the Quality of Reporting of Statistical Results

Background
The widespread reluctance to share published research data is often hypothesized to be due to the authors' fear that reanalysis may expose errors in their work or may produce conclusions that contradict their own. However, these hypotheses have not previously been studied systematically.

Methods and Findings
We related the reluctance to share research data for reanalysis to 1148 statistically significant results reported in 49 papers published in two major psychology journals. We found the reluctance to share data to be associated with weaker evidence (against the null hypothesis of no effect) and a higher prevalence of apparent errors in the reporting of statistical results. The unwillingness to share data was particularly clear when reporting errors had a bearing on statistical significance.

(tweeted by James C.Coyne)
Ooooh, he's good. :thumbsup:

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
Someone catch me up on this Annie Gsampel thing, please.
I believe it started as a joke by Graham, making fun of the idea that people could recognize themselves from anonymized data from the PACE trial. (one excuse for not releasing the data, even anonymously, was to protect patients. yeah, right, those PACE researchers have a great reputation for being worried about protecting patients)

I first saw this joke in this tweet by Tom Kindlon:

Hmm, I'm having trouble with the twitter interface. It's probably just me, but here's the link for anyone else who only sees "Twitter media loading..." instead of the actual tweet:
Code:
https://twitter.com/TomKindlon/status/662708340825284609

The name Annie Gsample = any example (if you say it with the right accent)

That's what I know about the name, others may know more!

Last edited:

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
If you really have the right accent it sounds like 'an example' (say Annie Gisample with the shortest of short 'I's after the 'G'.)

Last edited:

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
I believe it started as a joke by Graham, making fun of the idea that people could recognize themselves from anonymized data from the PACE trial. (one excuse for not releasing the data, even anonymously, was to protect patients. yeah, right, those PACE researchers have a great reputation for being worried about protecting patients)

I first saw this joke in this tweet by Tom Kindlon:

Hmm, I'm having trouble with the twitter interface. It's probably just me, but here's the link for anyone else who only sees "Twitter media loading..." instead of the actual tweet:
Code:
https://twitter.com/TomKindlon/status/662708340825284609

That's what I know about the name, others may know more!
Ah, OK. I was trying to figure out how this started. Thank you!

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
If you really have the right accent it sounds like 'an example' (say Annie Gisample with the shortest of short 'I's after the 'G'.)
D'oh! Typo!

(or should I say "think-o" since the problem was probably in my brain, not a slip of the fingers)

I meant to write "an example" not "any example." After all, I should know how to pronounce my own name! ;)