1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Influence of graded exercise therapy on anxiety levels and health-related quality of life in CFS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Bob, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    New small Serbian study (n=26) of GET for CFS.

In a nutshell, there was no significant improvement in physical function. I haven't read the full paper but from the abstract it looks like there was no control group, which means the study doesn't provide robust data.

Influence of graded exercise therapy on anxiety levels and health-related quality of life in chronic fatigue syndrome.
    Klasnja A, Grujic N, Popadic Gacesa J, Barak O, Tomic S, Brkic S.
    The Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness 2014 April;54(2):210-5
    http://www.minervamedica.it/en/journals/sports-med-physical-fitness/article.php?cod=R40Y2014N02A0210
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  2. determined

determined Senior Member

USA: Deep South
    I'd have to look more carefully at the experimental design, but it seems logical to assume that those who are ABLE to partake of GET are going to be more likely to respond positively. My experience over decades with CFS is that one has to get better first and only then can the graded exercise follow....and once that happens, more rapid improvement is possible.
    Keela Too, zzz and Bob like this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I found the 20 questions listed as question 11 in this file:
    http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/supplementary/1472-6874-11-22-s1.doc
    (they may be elsewhere on the internet also)
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Results weren't that good. These were 26 women of average age 36 who seem to have healthy BMIs (average weight / average h squared = 21.9)
    Klasnja Table 2 cropped.jpg
    If they were recovered, one would expect SF-36 PF scores of 90-100.

Attached Files:

Valentijn likes this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The exercise was done in person rather than at home:
    Klasnja exercise cropped.jpg

This is quite a lot of attention. Combine this with the commitment and would think there's a possibility for some placebo effects/people saying they're better than they are.

These were patients where the "mean number of months with fatigue was 17, ranging from 12 to 22 months". So one might think that such early-stage individuals might even improve a little naturally over time.

So results not exciting.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014 at 6:16 PM
    Valentijn, WillowJ and Esther12 like this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Aside:
    Quoting the PACE Trial and the Edmonds et al. Cochrane Review, they said:
    This is overstating the previous evidence.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014 at 6:16 PM
  7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Quite a lot of the paper is about how the STAI (anxiety) results correlated with the SF-36 subscale scores. The implication is that because the STAI scores went up, as they're correlated with the SF-36 scores, this means people's functioning was helped. But we've a better way of checking this: just look at the results of the SF-36 subscales, which generally didn't go up. The authors seem to be trying to spin the small positives they achieved father than they should.
    Keela Too and Valentijn like this.
  8. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    It's interesting that only Vitality (which focuses on "fatigue") improved, but nothing else. This is another nice example of the brainwashing effect, I think - patients are told they shouldn't feel fatigued, and a minor significant improvement shows up on the questionnaire regarding fatigue. Yet physical functioning, physical limitations, pain, etc, don't improve.
    Sidereal, A.B. and Dolphin like this.
  9. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

CBT is effective for every problem known to man, as long as we measure said problem according to opinion and the CBT is focused on changing that opinion in the desired direction

Then again these people think perception (and not reality) is what matters, so they might not even see anything wrong with this. I wonder what they would do if, instead of getting paid, they were told that not being able to pay their bills is only a problem due to their poor attitude :rofl:

See more popular forum discussions.