• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Inflexibility/joint pain/muscle pain

Gavman

Since becoming a bodyworker, I discovered that alot of people with knee problems tended to keep their legs straight and their knees locked. I have never done this and accredit it to having decent knees. I think what i failed to realise is, i do it more because i don't become flexible - no matter how much stretching i do.

I thought i'd drop this here because i know alot of people are struggling with pain in their body and how i've found some effective supplements that help me.

Collagen - since taking this, i stand straight with knees locked, so my hamstrings have actually released quite a bit from that. (tight hamstrings for those not in bodywork are a keen indicator of depression, i think it may have to do with the processing that goes on and the shut down of systems but thats my reasoning)
So my muscles/tendons have lengthened somewhat - being 6'3 this is quite important.

Evening Primrose oil and D3 - lubrication/hydration is very important for the body. As it seems a good majority of CFS patients struggle with dry eyes. Fish oil never seemed to have any lasting effect for me. Reading up on the methylation stuff, it seems my type is more suited to evening primrose. Though again, i'll point out different versions of fish oil work for different people. The vitamin d is going alot better with the zinc i'm taking to give me more pallor.

Glucosamine, Chondroiton, MSM - this stuff worked like a charm, however i'm sensitive to something in it, possibly the fact that its converted into sugar form and i struggle with sugars. However, i moved onto collagen instead, which is working well.

I remember when i was five and i ended up in hospital for two months because my legs stopped working. I had cellulitis and went to two hospitals, if my mother had left me at the first i would have died as the infection was travelling fast up my leg.

I'm confused, you said locking knees was bad because it leads to knee problems. But you said locking knees helped you because it lengthened/stretched hamstrings and others. Right? So should I try locking my knees sometimes, or try it for a while?

Gavman

Ah SoS, good pickup. I believe its about the persons tendencies to place more strain on the bone or muscles/tendons. So for me, my bones are very strong - my problem is with muscle flexibility. If your knees dont lock, chances are its because of tense/shortened muscles. I believe this is where supplements can take the load off the calcium/magnesium channels. If your knees dont lock, hamstrings stretching should improve your ability to straighten the leg, however, if stretching alone doesn't improve or only a slight improvement thats where i'd look for supplementation to support flexion.

For those who get knee pain, i believe unlocking the knees and leaving a slight bend can help take extra strain off and improve the strength of the supporting the muscles - but the better solution would be to improve flexibility and strength in quads, hip flexors and hamstrings.

If you tell me what you struggle with pain/tension wise, i'll be able to point you towards a more solution focused treatment, rather than a broad treatment.

hey Gavman,i do have a major muscle tension problem.
My muscles just seem to be tight all the time,so i cant work them very much and its also very painful.
Its pretty much all my back and neck,and jaw.
The funny thing is that i can do some exercising and i actually feel that my muscles work but they are weak and get tight.
I kinda feel there´s a nervous system problem now (i have it for 10 years) because my bodie´s response to everything seems to be tension.

Rand56

Silica is important for connective tissue. Within only a week of supplementing, I got significant relief from a tightening and painful hamstring that I was dealing with for quite some time.