• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Inflammation & Food Prep

ebethc

I'm trying to eat an anti-inflammatory & anti-histamine diet - mostly vegetables, very little saturated fat and olive or macadamia oil...I've read a lot about food choices and inflammation, but I'm trying to understand cooking methods better and how they affect inflammation-causing chemicals in foods....

Can anyone tell me if roasting vegetables is healthy for inflammation? I just use a little olive oil, salt & pepper.. I roast brussel sprouts, onions, sweet potatoes, etc.

thanks

jadam914

Foggy member
Just look for paleo recipes on the internet. If you haven't looked at paleo it is all about anti inflammatory, it's been around for years, and the 30 day fresh start helps eliminate food that are bad for you personally. Generally any method cooking of vegetables is fine even fried if done with the right oil. In my opinion steaming is the best for most. It keeps the most nutrients without creating carcinogens which some kinds of roasting and frying could cause. What you are eating and cooking with is generally more important than how it's cooked for anti inflammatory.

ebethc

Just look for paleo recipes on the internet. If you haven't looked at paleo it is all about anti inflammatory, it's been around for years, and the 30 day fresh start helps eliminate food that are bad for you personally. Generally any method cooking of vegetables is fine even fried if done with the right oil. In my opinion steaming is the best for most. It keeps the most nutrients without creating carcinogens which some kinds of roasting and frying could cause. What you are eating and cooking with is generally more important than how it's cooked for anti inflammatory.

I love nom nom paleo.... best paleo recipes, imo :)

I have been eating paleo, but I feel like I have to geek out more on the details... for example, I have high tryptase, I have been trying to eliminate high histamine foods... Paleo is big on fermented foods, which are full of histamines... So, I keep "pruning" the more I learn! I also think that saturated fats are hard for me to digest, so very little coconut (a paleo staple)... now i'm delving into cooking methods ..

jadam914

Foggy member
Trying the 30 day fresh start then add from there is the best method. As you add things in you will find out what works for you. If you don't it makes the process harder.

I suggest staying away from fructose as it has many health concerns(including inflation) even when balanced with glucose and is bad for an unbalanced digestive tract. I haven't tried fermented foods because of histamine and the fact I don't like them:depressed:. As for coconut, higher saturated fat is not necessarily bad, the type of fat is key. So I would give it a try if you haven't yet.