1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: In Free Fall Through the Looking Glass
Jody Smith continues to try to put into words the horror of the altered state that hobbles the brains of those with ME/CFS...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Infection of XC Cells by MLVs Is Endosome-Dependent but Acidific-Independent

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Jemal, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

This is a study from Japan that talks about XMRV/MLV's. It was published 12 oct.
    It's all gibberish to me... I can understand some of the words, but that's about it. And it's in English, not even in Japanese :D
    Does anyone understand what they are talking about here?

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0026180
  2. Tony Mach

Tony Mach Show me the evidence.

Upper Palatinate, Bavaria
    I'm no expert, but to me this sounds like they looked how P/X/MLV/XMRV viruses infects certain cells. Specially what influcence the pH of the endosome (how "acid" a certain part of the cell is) is with regards to an enzym called "cathepsin protease". Don't know if this is an viral enzym, or a human enzym though, and what role it plays with regards to XMRV.

Molecular mini-micro-pico-research at its best, I presume. It is like the joke about the three blind men, who try to describe what an elephant is: "It is a tail!", "No, it is a trunk!" and "No, it is a leg!". Only here, they looked at an hair of the elephant.

Doesn't matter. It's a blind alley with regards to ME/CFS.
  3. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

Thanks for your reply Tony, it makes some more sense now. I am not so sure this is a blind alley, though.
  4. Deatheye

Deatheye Senior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathepsin

See more popular forum discussions.