• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

infection and heavy metals connection

globalpilot

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8682094

http://content.onlinejacc.org/cgi/content/short/33/6/1578

The first publication says that the distribution of metals changes when an infection is present and also that they accumulate where the inflammatory lesions are present and that they also disturb. immune system function. So first there is infection, then the metals influencing the immune system.

The second one says that metals are much higher (22000 times for mercury) in the hearts of patients with idiopathic myocardiopathy. The author of this paper also stated elsewhere they think there is an infection in the heart causing weakened cell membranes which allow the metals in. It also says there was no prior exposure. So the 22000 times mercury accumulated is just from normal exposure.

So I think combined these mean an infection allows metals to accumulate and they change immune function. So both the metals and the infection need to be treated for recovery. Is this how others are reading this ?

Enid

Very interesting indeed globalpilot - thanks for this. Sometime after what was clearly infection and developing ME symptoms I went through a period of everything tasting metallic and disgusting, also high potassium excretion in urine. Rich will know the answers to this. That period thank heavens has long since left me but no full recovery. This looks quite a find doesn't it.....wow that explains much to me.

richvank

Hi, globalpilot.

Amy Yasko agrees with you, and discusses this at some length in her book "Autism: Pathways to Recovery."

In particular, she finds that aluminum is associated with bacteria, and the heavier metals are associated with viruses. She suggests that the pathogens accumulate the metals as a defense against the immune system. She also reports that when the pathogens are defeated, metals are released.

Best regards,

Rich

globalpilot

Hi Rich and Enid,

I had forgot about Dr Yasko saying this ... I had read that years ago. The only inconsistency is that if the metals disturb immune function as stated in teh first paper, it will be that much harder to get the viruses out with the metals still there.

I have a friend who has expelled a lot of mercury during chelation with no letup. It is so hard to undrestand but if she has an infection and has accumulated 22000 times the normal amount of metals, it makes more sense. She doesn't have a ongoing current exposure as far as we know.

Globalpilot

Enid

That's a knotty one global pilot but apart from having come through the worst (encephalitis) ME - not tasting metals anymore (we have none of your tests here) - I'm certain personally that there is ongoing chronic infection of some sort - a course of high dose Amoxcillan for root extractions improved the colour and odour of stools by chance - but I don't think that is the whole story and do suspect chronic viral presence. Hope Rich can answer your question and with science I lack.

But chelating has to be sound sense.