• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Indirect effect of beta glucan on my sleep

perchance dreamer

I recently started beta glucan at my doctor's suggestion (Kendal Stewart). He and my nutritionist think a lot of my problems are from infections and viruses. I've taken great immune-boosting and natural antiviral and antibacterial supplements for years, but have not gotten much symptom relief from them. I also take Valacyclovir.

I started taking the Neurobiologix Immune Restore brand of beta glucan about 3 weeks ago:

http://www.neurobiologix.com/product-p/809.htm

What I'm noticing is that I'm slowly able to add supplements and increase dosages of current supplements without having a negative sleep effect. This is huge for me.

As an example, I have such a sensitive system that I've only been able to take 1/8th of a tsp. of lecithin over the last couple of years. A full dose is 3 tsp.

I have taken the full dose before, and it greatly boosts my energy and mood, maybe because of the dopamine uplift from the phosphatidylcholine. However, I haven't been able to take that dose because it wreaks havoc with my sleep.

Since taking the beta glucan, I've slowly built up to 1/2 tsp. of lecithin. I'm hoping I can increase that over time. Before beta glucan even 1/4 tsp. wrecked my sleep.

I've been able to take a little more ribose and some supplements such as zinc that I couldn't take at all before beta glucan.

My nutritionist thinks my increased tolerance might be because the beta glucan is improving my TH1:TH2 balance.

I was scared to start taking beta glucan because I had done a search in the forum and found someone who had a truly godawful response that lasted a long time after he stopped. My nutritionist said that small numbers of people can't take it because it increases autoimmune symptoms for them.

Anyway, I'm really tickled at this progress.

Patrick*

Formerly PWCalvin
I've generally had success with Beta Glucan too. I started out by taking it as part of a supplement called ImmunoStim, but when they increased the price of that supplement and messed with the ingredients, I just went out and bought the ingredients separately. I get fewer sore throats and few crashes when i take Beta Glucan along with olive leaf extract and a maitake mushroom supplement. I agree with your nutritionist that it improves the Th1/Th2 balance.

perchance dreamer

I've been on beta glucan around 7 weeks now and thought I'd post again.

It's still letting me very gradually go up on certain supplements that have wrecked my sleep before. For example, I've gone from being able to tolerate only 1/64th of a tsp. of lecithin to 3/4th of a tsp.

Also, my sleep is gradually improving the longer I'm on beta glucan. I'm thrilled about that because I've had years of hellish sleeping problems.

Again, the progress I've made since being on beta glucan has been really slow, but at least I'm going in the right direction now.

I really didn't know what to expect when I started. The doctor who suggested it takes it himself, and he said it slowly gave him a bit more energy and pretty quickly took care of a stomach problem.