Looking Ahead to Change: Little by Little
I don't make New Year's Resolutions. I don't think I ever really did, but the last decade or two would have been enough to stifle that impulse. I've just been too aware that I don't have that much control over what happens in my life.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Indian Head Massage for ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by jojo2501, Aug 23, 2015.

1. jojo2501

jojo2501

London
    Hello All x

I was wondering if anybody has experienced Indian Head Massage for their ME. I have the condition myself but am studying it and I was looking to put some details of how people have found the treatment both positive and negative for my case studies?

Out of curiosity I am qualified in Massage therapy to how do people feel body massage helps their condition(s)?

thank you for your help

Jo xx

2. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

I had lymphatic drainage massage once and had good results. The lymphatic system is involved in (at least some) ME, so I think this might be the type of massage most likely to help.

Gondwanaland likes this.
  3. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    Hi @jojo2501 and welcome!

Like @Little Bluestem I've had very good results with Manual Lymphatic Drainage (Dr Vodder technique in my case). Apparently my lymphatic system gets clogged very easily (I would guess this is caused by overactive immune system/could also be other processes going on in ME that create a lot of waste). These massages for me have resulted in less muscle/joint pain, less overall heaviness in the body, less headaches. So for me it's not curative, but it does give me a better daily life quality.

What is Indian Head Massage?

Little Bluestem likes this.
  4. mango

mango Senior Member

Hello Jo,

I got a series of Indian head massage sessions some years ago (when I was much less ill than I am today). It felt nice but it didn't do anything (good nor bad) for M.E or any of its symptoms.

Today, being much more ill, my body wouldn't be able to tolerate anything like that -- it's much too fragile, can't cope with any kind of manipulation (physical, energetic and otherwise).

(I am/used to be a massage therapist too; mainly ayurvedic and thai yoga massage + a little bit of reflexology and craniosacral.)

5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Revolting Peasant

Scotland
    Good results from Perrin technique. For months prior, I had constant and profound brain fog. It gradually improved with treatment. Not resolved but very much better. It also helped with muscular discomfort particular in the shoulder area and increased flexibility in the spine.

6. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

Lymphatic massage really helps me with occasional breast pain.

7. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    In my experience it makes all my symptoms worse for about three days. Because of this, I have avoided massage in recent years. Perhaps a massage therapist who knew specifically how to work with an ME/CFS patient might provide a different outcome.

Hutan and mango like this.
  8. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

I have fibro and had to stop getting massages because they caused flares. I'm doing rolfing sessions now and find it far more effective than massage. The guy I go to is gentle, uses other methods such as craniosacral, and has worked on fibro patients before.

Sushi likes this.
  9. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    This has been my experience too. The outcome very much depends on the kind of massage (i.e. how much sensory stimulation), and if the therapist is willing to work according to your needs as PWME. If executed well it gives me immense relief. If not I'll crash for days.

Hutan likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.