• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

'Increase in neurological deaths'

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Alliance for Natural Health International news item:
Rising neurological deaths linked to environmental influences

A new UK study published in the journal Surgical Neurology International has highlighted rising neurological deaths in Western countries over the years, especially in the USA. The authors compared World Health Organization total neurological deaths data with controls, cancer mortality rates and circulatory disease deaths between 1989-1991 and 2008-2010. They found that “Every country's neurological deaths rose relative to the controls, especially in the USA, which is a cause for concern and suggests possible environmental influences”. The authors also pointed to “a number of studies indicating possible epigenetic factors influencing neurological morbidity, suggesting that possible nongenetic influences on gene expression, may be entertained”. They explained, “The nature of any environmental factors are uncertain but there have been major environmental changes; including increased population, economic activity, substantial rises in road and air travel; increased home technology involving background electromagnetic fields (mobile phones, microwave ovens, computers), which are unique to these later years and these possible environmental factors cannot be ignored, especially as they probably interact”.

Had a very quick look at the article, which is here. I couldn't find any mention of total deaths, which might tell us whether an increase in death from one cause could be at least partly due to a reduction in deaths from other causes, but it may be there somewhere. I thought it seemed a rather strange article.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Alliance for Natural Health International news item:

Had a very quick look at the article, which is here. I couldn't find any mention of total deaths, which might tell us whether an increase in death from one cause could be at least partly due to a reduction in deaths from other causes, but it may be there somewhere. I thought it seemed a rather strange article.

The quote you give is enough to see that this is a 'strange article'. They do not seem to understand genetics much. And Surgical Neurology International sounds a bit like Lampshade Collectors Weekly.

There seem to be a spate of articles like this - saying neurological disease is increasing. I agree that the likely explanation (in as much as there is an explanation that tells us something interesting) is that heart attacks and cancer have eased off so there is more time to get neurological. I think these may be electromagnetic radiation enthusiasts (or anti-enthusiasts).

But what may be good news is that neurological disease seems to be terribly trendy at the moment. And within that I get the distinct impression that ME/CFS is a potential hot topic in that it is a new (to the researchers) and more mysterious problem that people can write about having run out of new things to say about other diseases. The momentum may not be quite a tidal wave as yet but it looks promising. If there is enough interest to get those Japanese PET scan studies repeated things might go viral (so to speak, but probably metaphorically).

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
The quote you give is enough to see that this is a 'strange article'. They do not seem to understand genetics much. And Surgical Neurology International sounds a bit like Lampshade Collectors Weekly.

Great mag! ;)

Maybe they are trying to 'big up' neuro deaths to obtain more work chopping up people's brains. :eek:

Woolie

This article is hilarious! Well, of course neurological deaths are on the rise. You gotta die of something. More people are surviving early age killers like heart disease, living into a old age where they're more vulnerable to degenerative diseases like Alzheimer's.