1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Brain Cells Making us Sick? The microglia connection in ME/CFS & Fibromyalgia
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, could trigger and perpetuate the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Income taxes and overseas prescriptions

Discussion in 'Finances, Work, and Disability' started by minkeygirl, Jan 9, 2014.

1. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    I'm wondering if anyone has every used overseas prescriptions as deductions on their income taxes?

Theoretically it was an approved RX since the online pharmacist approved my RX for acyclovir and I have about $500 worth of deductions.

Just wondering
  2. vamah

vamah Senior Member

Washington , DC area
    A medical expense is a medical expense. I don't see why it would matter where it came from.
  3. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    I asked my tax guy last year and he seemed to think I couldn't claim it. I'd rather know for sure then a guess.
  4. vamah

vamah Senior Member

Washington , DC area
    I would look up the relevant section on the irs website. If it is not specifically excluded then you should be ok.

Of course, it can be hard to sift through the irs language. I had that problem last year trying to figure out which college expenses were deductable.
  5. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    can't do that. My brain would explode. That is why I asked if anyone here knows.
  6. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    I agree with vamah that you are fine to deduct, if they don't specifically exclude it.
    http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc502.html says "payments for drugs that require a prescription"
    are deductible and it does not say anything about foreign or international exclusions.
  7. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    IRS are sneaky bastards.

I guess if you take the code literally it only says require a prescription, not that you had one to get it.

I'd hate to be the one who gets audited and then gets the whistle blown on a great overseas pharmacy

Yes paranoia strikes deep!

See more popular forum discussions.