Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Incidence of IBS and chronic fatigue following GI infection: a population-level study (in Germany)

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

http://gut.bmj.com/content/early/2017/07/25/gutjnl-2017-313713.long
    PMID:

DOI:

10.1136/gutjnl-2017-313713

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    ljimbo423 and Skycloud like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Judging by the data in figure 2, over 5% had a CFS diagnosis in the lowest of the four categories in the follow-up period which lasted an average of 3.75 years. This makes me think that the diagnosis was not that strict.

Valentijn likes this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

From the introduction:

Woolie and Snow Leopard like this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Valentijn likes this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I think the main figures in the study relate to incident CFS i.e. new cases.

6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Also like with IBS, six out of the seven categories had interaction effects between an infection and psychological disorder less than one. Two of these were statistically significant.

So similarly one could say "The interpretation is that GI infection increases risk to a lesser degree among patients who are already at higher risk due to psychological disorder." I had misread this when reading the abstract and thought that if you had a prior psychological disorder if you got an infection this increased your risk

7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

One thing I am was concerned about in these studies is that there were likely cases of CFS that were undiagnosed for a number of years.

I know that occurred in my case. And perhaps my doctor might have classified me as a psychological case during that period because I once started crying in the surgery (I think that was the only time I cried that year so I don't accept that I was depressed, I was just upset at that moment because I wasn't getting any answers for my problems). If that was the case then prior psychological disorder wouldn't be a true risk factor as the psychological disorder wasn't occurring before the illness but actually during the illness just it [CFS] hadn't been diagnosed at that stage.

Woolie, Valentijn, MEMum and 3 others like this.
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

This shows how it can be difficult to interpret studies at this stage of conditions without more objective tests (that are routinely used):

Valentijn and Hutan like this.
  9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

10. Yabisa

Yabisa

ljimbo423 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.