1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The ePatient Revolution
Ryan Prior shares his experience and his thoughts from attending the Stanford Medicine X Conference as he contemplates the rising of the ePatient Revolution ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

inability to clear out aldehyde due to lack of aldehyde dehydrogenase 2? Candida?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by lizw118, Jun 16, 2014.

1. lizw118

lizw118 Senior Member

I am wondering if this is a problem for some of us? Someone on another thread (Vegas) mentioned that sweet-smelling sweat is a sign of dehydrogenation. I feel better when I have sweet smelling sweat, which sometimes happens after I get certain treatments like acupuncture. I wonder if that is because I am able to clear out the aldehyde from excess candida during those times. Otherwise maybe I am not so efficient at clearing that stuff out of my system. Does anyone have thoughts on this? Could this be part of the problem, and if so, it doesn't look like there is any way to supplement aldehyde dehydrogenase 2, unfortunately, so what can be done about this?

2. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA
    Lack of aldehyde dehydrogenases could account for alcohol intolerance and also exercise induced problems. Acetaldehyde is the first breakdown product of alcohol. Malondialdehyde is used in studies as a post workout marker.

And so then maybe lack of sleep exacerbates that:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=15726022
    "A novel observation: melatonin's interaction with malondiadehyde."

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  3. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

You would probably know if you lacked alcohol dehydrogenase, because drinking would give you an immediate hangover. It's genetic.

4. lizw118

lizw118 Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. I have actually become intolerant of alcohol over the past ten years. I wonder if it's because I have so much candida now that the alcoholic byproducts are too much for my body to detoxify. Maybe it isn't due to a lack of aldehyde dehydrogenase, but some other problem in the chain of events that causes dehydrogenation. I wish I knew what that was and what to do about it, though.

5. xks201

xks201 Senior Member

Probably just a molybdenum deficiency. Lol if you were lacking aldehyde dehydrogenase enzymes yes you would get drunk right away and probably would have other serious metabolic issues than funny smelling sweat.

6. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    That's how I feel, especially since getting ME but even beforehand. A few sips was enough to make me tipsy. Now even one sip makes me feel pretty sick.

7. xks201

xks201 Senior Member

Try molybdenum.

8. Sherlock

Czechosherlockia, USA
    There's a poll and thread here somehere about alcohol intolerance.

Does smog also make you sick?

9. lizw118

lizw118 Senior Member

Thanks all. xks201 actually sweet smelling sweat is an indication that treatment is working for me. It happens when I get acupuncture a lot and I feel much better. I also do have thyroid issues. I wonder if I have a slight dehydrogenation issue? But not full blown? At any rate I have ordered some molybdenum to see if that helps.
    @Sherlock, smog makes me feel bad, yes, but not exactly in the same way alcohol does. But they both give me terrible sinus pressure and headaches.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  10. Sherlock

Czechosherlockia, USA
    Liz, smog contains acetaldehyde.

11. lizw118

lizw118 Senior Member

@Sherlock very interesting. The other day there was smog and I did feel awful. Hmmm...

Sherlock likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.