1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Never Ask Us if We're Hungry -- The Answer's Always No
There are three of us here and for many years, none of us ever got hungry. When our brains would turn to mush, when our faces would go numb, and we would start the invisible vibration which is the signature dance of ME/CFS, we knew we needed to eat.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

In vitro assembly of virus-like particles of a Gammaretrovirus (XMRV)

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Jemal, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

I have no idea what it means...

http://jvi.asm.org/content/early/2011/11/09/JVI.05564-11.abstract?related-urls=yes&legid=jvi;JVI.05564-11v1
  2. Tony Mach

Tony Mach Show me the evidence.

Upper Palatinate, Bavaria
    As far as I understand, they studied how the individual pieces of a XMRV virus ("structural proteins") fall together ("are assembled") to form virus-like particles (I guess either incomplete viruses or a intermediate step to a full virus but I could be wrong). They seem to have found differences in the assembly to other Gammaretroviruses whether these differences are big or subtle, I can't tell.

If XMRV were a human pathogen, this could offer clues how to block this step in virus formation. As it stands, XMRV is not a human pathogen so this only helps further the understanding of viruses in general.
  3. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    I'm not sure exactly what it means either. Like Tony said, it seems to be exploring the way that immature viral particles combine to form mature viruses. But I can't work out what the significance might be from reading only this abstract.
  4. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Whatever it does mean, it is good to see advances in the understanding of viral behaviours going on. (I'm not a scientist though).

See more popular forum discussions.