• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

In Utero Exposure to Commercial Pesticides Linked to Autism

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
from Physician's First Watch 24th June 2014

In Utero Exposure to Commercial Pesticides Linked to Autism
By Amy Orciari Herman
Edited by
- David G. Fairchild, MD, MPH, and
- Andre Sofair, MD, MPH

Prenatal exposure to commonly used agricultural pesticides may be associated with increased risk for autism spectrum disorder and developmental delay, according to an observational study in Environmental Health Perspectives.

Researchers studied 970 children (aged 2 to 5 years) in California with autism spectrum disorders, developmental delay, or typical development. Data on the use of commercial pesticides (in places such as farms, golf courses, parks) were linked to the mothers' addresses during pregnancy.

Among the findings, after multivariable adjustment: Children with autism spectrum disorder were 60% more likely to have had organophosphates applied near their homes (within 1.25 km) when they were in utero, relative to those with typical development. In addition, children with developmental delay were almost 150% more likely to have had carbamate pesticides applied near their homes.

The authors say their study "strengthens the evidence linking neurodevelopmental disorders with gestational pesticide exposures."

Link(s):
Emerging Health Perspectives article (Free PDF) http://click.jwatch.org/cts/click?q=227;68020384;57hWUMj8DBMICLBAiyaqO6LOJfwzsedvP4cI9o3xqjE=
Background: NEJM Journal Watch Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine summary on prenatal pesticide exposure and ADHD (Your NEJM Journal Watch registration required) http://click.jwatch.org/cts/click?q=227;68020384;57hWUMj8DBMICLBAiyaqOyreLbXkO/99P4cI9o3xqjE=

PennyIA

This is interesting.

Especially if you tie in the theory (sorry, no links to studies, just have heard about them) that a large number (since I don't have studies, I'll stick with a 'large number', I've heard 'all') of children with autism have MTHFR-related defects which is tied to a reduced ability to process and eliminate low level toxins. If we add to it that most of those defects were inheritible, it stands to reason that the mothers also have a a few MTHFR defects as well (no guarantee, but there's only two places to inherit those defects from - it either came from mother or father).

So, if mom had trouble processing and eliminating toxins from her body while pregnant and if anything can get through the placenta to the baby AND if the baby also has troubleprocessing and eliminating toxins from their body while in utero... well, it would make sense that it would impact their development.

It would be interesting to do a follow up study in the areas within the range of pesticides on all babies born during a certain period of time that would capture in utero exposure - to see if the babies born do or do not have MTHFR defects and if they do or do not fall on the autism spectrum. It would be very telling if the babies in that region without MTHFR-related defects are fine, but the babies in that region with MTHFR-defects are not. Because it would help prove the theory that it's tied to both MTHFR-related defects AS WELL as enviromental exposure to toxins.

alex3619

I don't have a link around, and forget the details, but some years ago they showed that two specific pesticides were safe .... except in the one town in ? Mexico where both were used. The impact of the two together was what did the damage, apparently. I do not know if this was ever followed up.