New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

In need of some good TV shows

Discussion in 'Lifestyle Management' started by trickthefox, Jul 19, 2015.

1. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

I just saw the 1st episode of the 3rd season of Broadchurch. It's fabulous! I'm thrilled to see Olivia Colman, David Tennant, and Jody Whitaker again. I'll savor every episode since this is their final season.

I have to watch it with captions on, which makes me feel bad because English is my language. But without captions, I'd have a hard time understanding everything David Tennant says. Scottish accents are hard for me to understand although I don't think his is accent is thick.

Did anyone watch the 3rd season of Fargo? I thought the first 2 seasons were much better, but I still really enjoyed it and loved seeing Mary Elizabeth Winstead again after seeing her in Braindead.

Also, did you guys watch Little Big Lies? I loved it although they changed some things from the book.

It's funny. My massage therapist said she only watched a couple of episodes because she thought it was kind of trashy and that people were making poor decisions. Well, who wants to watch a show with well adjusted people doing the right thing all the time?

2. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

I thought it was quite good. Very different from the others, but that's the nature of each season being a different story in a different era. Pretty funny watching Ewan McGregor play both (non-twin) brothers.

In some ways it was much more grim than other seasons, maybe due to the modern background problems being so familiar - like the British villain and his fake (albeit amusingly absurd) facts, straightforward greed as a motivator of nearly everyone, political savvy winning over competence, etc. It was also quite different in the surreal elements crossing into the realm of science-fiction and divinity.

But it was still emotionally quite powerful. It was possible to identify with the scumbags, and even with the outright villains at times. And nice action scenes with smart plot twists.

Thinktank and Marc_NL like this.
  3. perchance dreamer

Is anyone watching Ozark on Netflix? It's a drama with Jason Bateman and Laura Linney.

At first I was skeptical that Bateman could be convincing in a dramatic role since he's so identified with comedy, but he's really good here. And Laura Linney is sublime, as always.

The series got mixed reviews, but I didn't read much in advance. I wanted to judge for myself. I'm really enjoying Ozark.

Bateman and Linney have such complex, meaty roles. Julia Garner is seriously kick ass in her role as Ruth.

God! Remind me not to get on the bad side of any international drug lords. Apparently, they can be quite unpleasant.

Jennifer J and Mary like this.
  4. Jenny TipsforME

Jenny TipsforME Senior Member

Bristol
  5. Jenny TipsforME

Bristol
    Things currently available on Netflix which I'm pleased I watched :)
    [​IMG]
    1 White House
    2 quirky legal
    3 brilliant legal
    4 outrageous prison
    [​IMG]
    1 Brit school comedy
    2 quirky love story
    3 White House (West Wing meets Homeland)
    4 hilarious US comedy
    [​IMG]
    1 vintage eBay retailer
    2 legal
    3 controversial, don't watch alone/emotionally vulnerable
    4 Brit comedy
    [​IMG]
    1 US spy
    2 Brit comedy
    3 regal
    4 dark Brit comedy
    [​IMG]
    1 detective
    2 hilarious Brit/female comedy
    3 US gentle comedy
    4 harder hitting Anne of Green Gables remake
    [​IMG]
    1 excellent Brit detective
    2 church/family drama (sexual abuse trigger warning)
    3 race/advocacy drama
    4 detective (I like a good murder ;)

[​IMG]
    1 gentle Brit comedy
    2 psychological thriller
    3 gentle Brit family comedy
    4 Brit political satire
    [​IMG]
    1 hard hitting NZ/Australia detective
    2 Brit comedy about students
    3 quest film
    4 gentle Brit comedy
    [​IMG]
    1 raunchy psychological thriller
    2 excellent teenage drama set where I live (series 1 is very like Bristol people I've known)
    3 swoon worthy period drama
    4 more detecting and murders...
    [​IMG]
    1 detective
    2 detecting history rather than murders (for variety!), gentle comedy
    3 period film
    4 Brit family comedy
    [​IMG]
    1 detective
    2 Quentin Tarantino, I expect you've heard of it
    3 brilliant Brit NHS comedy
    [​IMG]
    1 cowboy, not normally my sort of thing but good
    2 spy
    3 Brit comedy
    4 Brit comedy
    [​IMG]
    1 legal
    2 Brit comedy detective
    3 Brit detective (Endeavour >Morse > Lewis), picturesque location=very dangerous ;)
    4 Irish detective

Can you recommend any other detective series or things you think I'd like based on these?

upload picture to url

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Binkie4, lauluce, slysaint and 5 others like this.
  6. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

7. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member

Yorkshire, England
    Red Riding Trilogy if it's available, (not seen it but has been recommended to me)
    Set around the time and area of the Yorkshire Ripper.

Jenny TipsforME likes this.
  8. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    The Bridge (Danish: Broen; Swedish: Bron) is absolutely awesome, if you can handle subtitles. I think it was remade in the States, too, but watch the original if you can.

9. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

I loved Revenge (except maybe the last season).
    upload_2017-8-14_12-18-51.jpeg
    New spin off series from the excellent 'Good Wife' called the Good Fight (season 2 in the pipeline)
    upload_2017-8-14_12-19-40.jpeg

There was also a series recently on ITV called 'Fearless' which you might like.
    upload_2017-8-14_12-20-57.jpeg

10. perchance dreamer

@Jenny TipsforME, thanks for all those great recommendations! I've seen some of them, but you've given me a lot of ideas.

I'll have to try Black Mirror again. I watched the 1st episode and was horrified by the British P.M. and the pig plot. I've been told that other episodes are not upsetting like that one is.

I loved The Killing. Americans are notorious for screwing up great European shows and movies (the U.S. adaptation of Broadchurch and The Vanishing, for example), but I thought The Killing was excellent, with beautiful acting on the parts of the 2 leads. I'll have to see the original Danish Forbrydelsen sometime.

I want to see the original British Getting On. The American version was great, truly a small gem. It was also called Getting On.

Based on what you listed, I have a few recommendations if you haven't already seen them:

True Detective. The first season was fantastic, with Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson. You will probably need to use captions. I'm a Southerner, with many relatives in this part of Louisiana, but I had to use captions sometimes. I thought the second season was just awful, though.

Fargo. This is a TV series that is not based on the beloved movie Fargo, but has the same flavor.

Justified. I watched every episode and still miss this series with Timothy Oliphant and Walton Goggins. I can't imagine either of these actors ever having roles again as good as these. Also, they are both really handsome!

Shameless
    . This is another American adaption of a British show, but it's fabulous in a perverse kind of way.
    One of the sex scenes is the most shocking thing I've ever seen or can even imagine, but it was funny.

You know, I just looked and can't find True Detective or the Fargo TV series on Netflix. I'm sure they are available other places.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    Mary and Jenny TipsforME like this.
  11. Jenny TipsforME

Bristol
    @Luther Blissett @sarah darwins @slysaint @perchance dreamer @PinkPanda thanks I'll look those up. Some I have already seen and would also recommend: the Good Fight, the Bridge, True Detective.

Unfortunately my reading is currently too slow to rely on subtitles (though weirdly I often have English subtitles on as well as English speech because of satellite ear type problems). When my ME was mild I loved Scandi Noir like the original The Killing. If you're British and can read subtitles there seems to be great series on 4OD Walter Presents.

sarah darwins likes this.
  12. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    Want a break from stress? (Whether hurricanes or discussions about respect? ;)) Or your cat yells at you too much? (As mine does! :cat:)

Check out "Rake" on Netflix - guaranteed to make you laugh or your money back :lol:

It’s an Australian series, loosely based on a real attorney who was a rake (look it up) and Richard Roxburgh, who plays him, is an eloquent treat to watch (and listen to). It has something for everyone - politics, love, law, insane lawsuits, gangsters. The supporting cast is excellent too, with their own messy lives nicely intertwined. And there are four seasons!

13. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    My son recommended this to me, I watched a little, had mixed feelings, but will give it another go! :)

Dechi and Jennifer J like this.
  14. Jenny TipsforME

Bristol
    @Mary I agree about Rake. It entertained me, though probably in the category of things I wouldn't seek out to watch if I was well.

Last night I watched the film Hippopotamus with my mother-in-law which is now on Netflix. We both enjoyed it. It's based on a Stephen Fry novel and feels like a modern PG Wodehouse. The theme is around miracle healing but really it's posh English comedy.

Sorry that's derailing the thread onto films! Why are films so much more intense than the same amount time watching a TV series?!

I got engrossed in the Making of a Murderer, though the whole tale of injustice left me feeling disturbed.

I'm plowing through Suits at the moment. 7 series and new ones still each week. That was actually the initial attraction for me ;) Not feeling like I'd invest in the characters then have to wait a year for the next series. I'm not convinced by the premise of the plot: charming lawyer hires associate he knows doesn't have a law degree, but it's engaging. I'm up to Season 4.

I might start watching Revenge too.

I like Strike on BBC1 (JK Rowling detective under a nom de plume). I'm hardly watching any public TV now though, mostly Netflix or Amazon. I'm also getting into YouTube for the first time (distracting myself with makeup videos or spoofs and recently the Calling Bullshit university lectures). I do still like Made in Chelsea though as guilty-pleasure style TV.

Mary and slysaint like this.
  15. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member

I too am watching ' Suits' but, having just started season 2, seem to be losing interest which is disappointing. Not nearly as good as " the Good Wife". I think I need a rest and then try again. I too like having whole series available to just immerse myself in.

I liked " Breaking Bad", son's recommendation, lots of episodes.
    Doc Martin,
    and most of my other likes are already recommended.

My all time favourite is West Wing. Probably been round three times now. I used to like ER and watched all ? 15 series once a year for a while.

I've tried ' The Wire' more than once but have only ever got a few episodes in. I struggle with understanding the ( lost the word) pronunciation.

I liked the psychological drama last night, ' Liar'.

Thank you for this thread. Am sure I will refer to it a lot.

16. Jenny TipsforME

Bristol
    @Binkie4 if you love West Wing try Designated Survivor

The Wire requires subtitles if non American but worth the effort if you can read them. I'd say it's even better than West Wing. Very clever. I think you have to watch it a bit differently, not expecting to understand everything straight away.

Binkie4 and Jennifer J like this.
  17. perchance dreamer

@Jenny TipsforME, I had heard the BBC was going to do a series with Strike and Robin. I hope I can see it here. Are the main characters good? I'd think it would be difficult to cast Strike.

I loved all the Strike books and can't wait for her new one. I know Rowling has been working on it, but am not aware of the publication date. The working title is Lethal White.

@Binkie4, I loved The West Wing, too, and wish that really were our U.S. political climate. My favorite all-time TV show is Six Feet Under, followed by Justified.

Binkie4 likes this.
  18. NotThisGuy

NotThisGuy Senior Member

Germany
    I really enjoy Rick and Morty.
    I love how the show plays with your believes and your mind.

the philosophy of the show also makes it easier to deal with disease and death in a "don't think about it, it doesn't matter" way.

bspg likes this.
  19. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

I really enjoyed the Strike books and have watched the episodes so far. Really enjoyable. Tom Burke plays Strike and Holliday Grainger plays Robin. Both do a pretty good job I think:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4276618/

Jenny TipsforME likes this.
  20. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

See more popular forum discussions.