The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

In need of some good TV shows

Discussion in 'Lifestyle Management' started by trickthefox, Jul 19, 2015.

1. EtherSpin

EtherSpin Senior Member

Melbourne , Australia
    probably covered this waaaay back earlier in the thread but have some updates - some of us have had mood issues from neuro inflammatory stuff or whatever reason - when and if this happens to me I can't use general TV as a distraction as anything controversial opens the abyss of existential dread but the programs that work for me include Grand Designs which 90% of the time is decent people getting to make their dream home so its fulfilling and fascinating and then 10% of the time the house will be interesting and the owner an obnoxious person with far too much money! I also have enjoyed the Great Pottery Throw down (2 series so far) and the Great british Sewing Bee (4 or 5 seasons) and the Pottery thrown down has made me a bit aspirational about building up to be able to do some kind of pottery class in years to come

Hutan, Mary, flitza and 2 others like this.
  2. Tyto alba

Tyto alba

If you haven't already seen it, there was a BBC 6 part series (Mastercrafts) about traditional crafts a couple of years ago that I particularly enjoyed. It's not available on iPlayer but I managed to find them on Youtube:

Link:

Hutan, Mary and Valentijn like this.
  3. flitza

flitza Senior Member

I also have these mood issues and existential dread stuff and it's really limited what I can watch and enjoy. Thanks for mentioning it.

Jenny TipsforME and EtherSpin like this.
  4. EtherSpin

EtherSpin Senior Member

Melbourne , Australia
    sorry to hear that but my commiserations and please be sure to find yourself some guilty pleasures that are completely uncontroversial - I have to remind myself that if and when this condition is treated I will be able to cope with almost anything again but for now, we have to protect ourselves.

Jennifer J and flitza like this.
  5. EtherSpin

EtherSpin Senior Member

Melbourne , Australia
    oh this is excellent! adding this to my watchlist and emailing to myself now so I can check out tomorrow morning at a good hour ! thank you!

6. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    My son recommended The People v. O.J. Simpson (available on Netflix). Initially I wasn't going to watch it (it won 9 Emmys and had 22 nominations), but he's pretty discerning so I started it and was hooked within 5 minutes. It was amazingly well done. I never followed the trial when it was going on, though I knew a few of the major points.

Anyways, I highly recommend it - my sister who is not big on this kind of thing either was hooked from the start just like me and watched the whole thing (ten 1-hour episodes)

bspg, Jennifer J and flitza like this.
  7. dadouv47

dadouv47 Senior Member

Belgium
    - Master of none (on netflix) season 2 is crazy good. I love this show.
    - American gods is weird but a lot of potential

8. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

It makes more sense if you've read the book. Though it's still wonderfully bizarre :D

The Handmaid's Tale
    is also excellent. Dystopian near-future in the US where ultra-conservatives have successfully overthrown the government, and women are systematically repressed. Lots of relationship stuff, but also a fair bit of action.

DoggerFisher, Izola, emsho and 4 others like this.
  9. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

Just watched a half hour comedy show amusingly called 'Trial & Error' with John Lithgow.

It was just the balm I needed. Silly at times, many chuckle moments the occasional laugh out loud.

I don't know if this is a weird response but part of the fun is that they know I know they're acting (not sure I'm expressing that right-- a kind of self awareness you don't get in drama) and that vamping it up and being silly is as much fun for them as it is for you.

Jennifer J and Mary like this.
  10. Jenny TipsforME

Jenny TipsforME Senior Member

Bristol
    I just watched Girlboss which I enjoyed (young woman sets up vintage EBay store). This maybe because I live online and like vintage clothes!

I've just started watching Dear White People which is good if you're an activist type.

Of course the Line of Duty is one of the best TV shows ever. Sad another season finished :(

I look forward to the Good Fight each week.

My guilty pleasure is Made in Chelsea.

There's a new House of Cards out soon :)

Jennifer J and Mary like this.
  11. flitza

flitza Senior Member

I'm watching it too.

Snowdrop and Mary like this.
  12. Rvanson

Rvanson Senior Member

USA
    I know "Firefly" was already mentioned. Too bad it didn't last long.

I rewatch "Dead, Like Me" (2003-2004) every few months.

Its quite a funny look on Death, but the actors do use the "F" word
    quite a bit, so if that not to your liking, then don't watch it.

I have Hulu online, and have no cable or satellite TV. I just stream the shows
    to my screen using a private Wi-Fi network.

The new "Supergirl" is also quite good, although it's nothing like the comic
    book character, beyond her being Superman's cousin, with the same powers.

Jennifer J likes this.
  13. Jennifer J

Jennifer J Senior Member

Southern California
    Hi, @Mary. Thank you. I just started watching Jane the Virgin. I'm enjoying it very much. It's helped me to disconnect too, a little after an intense person was ?disruptive with me this week. Now looking back at the situation, I'm narrating what took place like the narrator of the show does. It's kind of fun. It makes the situation more bearable, gives me a more detached understanding of the person and adds humor. :thumbsup:

Also, it prompted me to have a conversation with someone of an older generation about the shows title. She's someone I'm close to and knew that it was alright to ask her about this. Oh, boy, can't say more now but what a week I've had from all I learned about her from that conversation and the ones that followed. It's been very interesting.

Who knew a fun show on Netflix could play into my week as it did. Better this show than some others.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Mary likes this.
  14. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    Glad to hear all this @Jennifer J :) - that's funny, but also very interesting how it played out in your week. I do like the format with the narrator a lot - it is such a fun show and I am still hooked on it. I think it's in its 4th season now. If I'm in a bad mood or depressed, it almost always cheers me up. I think I've started to think of the characters as real people :whistle:

Jennifer J likes this.
  15. gabriella17

gabriella17 Senior Member

Phoenix, AZ
    Do you have Amazon Prime? A few really good Amazon Originals -

Patriot - combination thriller/drama/comedy about espionage that they manage to pull off. Has Terry O'Quinn from Lost.

Sneaky Pete - is about an ex-con who tricks his way out of prison and then is on the lam and comes across a house and decides to pretend he is long-lost family. Co-directed by Bryan Cranston, who also stars in it.

Mary likes this.
  16. PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown Senior Member

UK
    If you're in to sci-fi and time travel then Continuum is a pretty good show, though I lost interest in the later seasons. It's on Netflix UK at the moment.

Valentijn likes this.
  17. Starlight

Starlight Senior Member

I've really enjoyed Superstore lately. It's a comedy about life working in a superstore in middle America. It's funny, heart warming without being twee and genuinely very enjoyable. When I'm feeling bad I need to park intense thought for a while and I found this perfect for that. There's nothing offensive in it for anyone reading who is feeling fragile.

Valentijn and Jennifer J like this.
  18. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member

Yorkshire, England
    Have you tried watching so called 'slow tv' shows? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_television

They usually show something either mundane like a log fire, but others are more like a documentary of a journey, usually with little or no narration. A search of youtube for 'slow tv - norway' should bring up a playlist of some if you are interested. I saw one called 'a flight through the Swiss Alps' which might appeal, the only problem is that some of them are very long.

19. dadouv47

dadouv47 Senior Member

Belgium
    Just finished The Leftovers and it's clearly on my top 3 tv shows of all time. So emotionally powerful, so intellectual as well.
    Things are so connected that I probably missed tons of elements during the show because I watched a lot of episodes while feeling very tired, so I will rewatch it if I can :p

Don't think it's a spoiler but this show is so much about meaning of life, grief, pain, faith (or no faith) that everyone can identify himself watching it, but I think for people suffering from terrible chronic disease and having so much struggles that it makes it even more interesting to watch and think about it :)

20. DoggerFisher

DoggerFisher Senior Member

My guilty pleasure atm when rogue viruses, polar bears eating people, violence, abuse, shouting and drugs have all become too much (my usual favourites) is newly discovered Heartland CBC show on Netflix. looks cheesy is actually sweet and entertaining good behaviour is rewarded and baddies get their comeuppance it's teen friendly bit like the Waltons :angel: might be a bit boring if you don't like horses or the Rockies in the background but it's making me smile. (Off topic but reminds me I once caused a woman to be arrested in Calgary- hope it wasn't any of you!)

See more popular forum discussions.