Lipkin's Monster ME/CFS Study: Microbes, Immunity & Big Data
The Microbe Discovery Project outlines an ambitious new study by top researchers that has collected patient samples, but needs desperately funds to complete the work.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

In Memory of Jodi Bassett

Discussion in 'In Memory of ...' started by Yogi, Jun 13, 2016.

1. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    , it could be near impossible for a ME bedbound patient to get to hospital to have cancer treatments or even the standard mammograms for early detection of cases, so even if the cancer wasnt a complication of ME, the ME could end up indirectly leading to someones death.

how many of us who have ME to the point where we rarely may brush our hair, do the monthy recommended breast checks etc? it would make sense even if we had the same cancer rate of that, that more with ME would die from this then a healthy person getting it.

It would also probably be far more likely that we could miss the symptoms of cancer eg fatigue and the other symptoms due to thinking it was just our ME so we could get a later diagnoses leading to cancer being harder to treat.

(as far as Im aware they havent found we have an increased risk of breast cancer but other cancers have been found to be a lot more common in us).

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  2. erin

erin Senior Member

I can't believe I found out about Jodi Basset's passing as late as 2 weeks. Very sad. She was so great, and her humming bird website. It offered so much help and information. I learned a lot from her work.
    I hope she's as free as a bird now.

merylg, panckage and Sushi like this.
  3. ComtesseDeLaCouche

ComtesseDeLaCouche

According to one of the many posters on the Facebook Obituary/Condolences page, she died of breast cancer. She had been making some good progress with her ME, when she got this diagnosis. She had hope and fought it right up until the end.

merylg and lnester7 like this.
  4. ComtesseDeLaCouche

ComtesseDeLaCouche

Tania, I don't know if this helps or not, but she died of breast cancer, not of the ME. I understand that she had indeed been making good progress with the ME when she got the diagnosis. She fought it and stayed hopeful right to the end.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
    merylg, dannybex and Jennifer J like this.
  5. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    I asked because I hate we don't get the certificate to say ME but I like to cite the names when they dismiss ME as if it doesn't kill.

I heard she was too sick from ME to get the breast cancer treatment so interested to know medically then what is consider the cause of death.

I don't mean to be insensitive is just an ambiguous situation for our community which really bothers me.

Valentijn, Jennifer J and taniaaust1 like this.
  6. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

This is harsh. Like most of you, her website was of utmost importance to me. It was the first and only description of M.E. i found and got me on the right track for diagnosis. I remember saying "oh my God, THIS is what i have!"

I hope she knows of the asset she was

merylg, Sidereal and Valentijn like this.
  7. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    thanks but thou she died of breast cancer from what we have heard it sounds like ME may of played a part too...there has been things said implying this .

(Beven didnt die directly from ME either, for many its still playing some part.. indirectly whether it is ME patients suiciding or ME patients not being able to get treatments well for other serious illnesses due to their ME, or the ME symptoms helping hide other serious conditions till its too late).

8. Kina

Kina Moderation Team Lead

Ontario, Canada
    Please remember the purpose of the "In Memory Of" threads

Let's honor and remember Jodi and her accomplishments rather than further the discussion on cause of death.

Thank you.

merylg, rosie26, Zeno and 5 others like this.
  9. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member

Vancouver, British Columbia
    Written by Jodi's father, Peter Bassett, on her memorial page:

merylg, MeSci, dannybex and 7 others like this.
  10. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

W. Sussex UK
  11. dangermouse

dangermouse

Jodi will be missed. I have learned much about ME from her website, for that I am thankful. Saddened to hear about her passing.

mrquasar, suseq, merylg and 1 other person like this.

See more popular forum discussions.