Get PACE removed from clinical guidelines – sign the petition!
Sasha invites you to sign a new petition to the HHS to protect patients against the PACE trial, CBT and GET ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

In Memory of Jodi Bassett

Discussion in 'In Memory of ...' started by Yogi, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl ME is not MUS

UK
    This is tragic and distressing news indeed, but it also makes me think of all the unknown invisible 'Jodis' out there who have died of or as a result of this devastating disease yet remain unknown to us and are 'unmorned' by the ME community.

2. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Vexacious, thy name is PACE

Toronto
    My condolences to Jodi's family. Heartbreaking.
    She had a very comprehensive website that as others have said has been very helpful. I came across it early on in my internet searches looking for help.
    It's very sad.

Mel9, jodie100, Sushi and 1 other person like this.
  3. Countrygirl

Countrygirl ME is not MUS

UK
    Sean, jodie100 and Sushi like this.
  4. shannah

shannah Senior Member

5. sandgroper

sandgroper

west australia
    Tania, you are correct in saying she will not be forgotten. I was part of the severe group. Until then I did not know anyone like me. We are hidden. Mostly i cannot even use the computer now. I had asked her to write about the adrenaline surges when one of the group died. Just before I heard the news I had someone print it out for me. It was a synchronistic moment. I feel very shocked and saddened. We lived about an hour away from each other but neither of us well enough to travel to visit.

MeSci, Bob, leela and 4 others like this.
  6. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque

panckage, barbc56, Sean and 3 others like this.
  7. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Making the most of it

Australia
    Heartbreaking.

Mel9 and Jennifer J like this.
  8. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

W. Sussex UK
    'The Rose' by Bette Midler is playing on the radio as I write this and now I don't know what I was going to say

Little Bluestem, Mel9 and Old Bones like this.
  9. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    Im always glad to see you post, I wonder how you are at times. It was that severe group I first met Jodie (that was when I was even worst then I are today), long time ago now thou.

and all those who have died from this without even having been diagnosed and knowing what they had. I know another who was in that situation in my old town who only ended up with a FM diagnoses though terribly ill even up to a week or two before his death he was thrown out of hospital and being told his illness was all in his head (he then had organ failure and died, he was in his early 50s).

The tally of deaths are starting to add up.

Little Bluestem likes this.
  10. Roy S

Roy S former DC ME/CFS lobbyist

Illinois, USA

Mel9, Jennifer J and Bob like this.
  11. otherworldly

otherworldly

reply from the Facebook ME/CFS Memorial Page: "According to a posting by xxxx Jodi died from breast cancer that could not be treated in her severe condition. Jodi died from complications of her ME."

MeSci and Little Bluestem like this.
  12. Artorias

Artorias

UK
    So are they saying that she did not have cancer and that she in fact died from ME complications? Sorry if this question is inappropriate.

13. otherworldly

otherworldly

she did die from breast cancer.....cancer being a complication of her ME. cancer is much more common in PWME, as r heart issues, hence they r considered complications

14. Artorias

Artorias

UK
    Ah I see, I didn't realise something like cancer was considered a complication of ME.

15. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

People with ME have increased incidence of at least some types of cancer. In Jodi's case, it sounds like having ME prevented her from being treated for an otherwise treatable cancer. Thus ME played a large part in killing her.

16. Artorias

Artorias

UK
    I see now, thank you.

17. panckage

panckage Senior Member

Vancouver, BC
    How I read it is that if she had been healthy her cancer could have been treated. Because of ME she was too weak to to have treatment (chemo?). So ME lead to the cancer being untreatable, resulting in death

ukxmrv likes this.
  18. Kati

Kati Patient in training

I don't think it's quite accurate. Patients are at higher risk to get certain lymphomas, the non-hodgkins kind. The other cancers occur at the same rate as the healthy population.

Breast cancer occurs in 1 out of 8 women in their lifetime.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22648858

ComtesseDeLaCouche and panckage like this.
  19. BooRadley

BooRadley

These rumours are not totally accurate. Jodi chose not to share details of her breast cancer treatment outside the family. I think it's best to respect Jodi's wish for privacy and not speculate further.

*Edited slightly

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    rosie26, leela, Sushi and 3 others like this.
  20. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    thank you.

See more popular forum discussions.