The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
Over the Hills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

In Memory of Dr. A. Martin Lerner

Discussion in 'In Memory of ...' started by Kina, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Kina

Kina Moderation Team Lead

Ontario, Canada
    Untitled.png

Funeral Home Notice

Ecoclimber, Esther12, WillowJ and 8 others like this.
  2. shannah

shannah Senior Member

So very sorry to hear that Dr. Lerner has passed on. My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

He was a much beloved member of our community and a wonderful example of dedication and perseverance. His loss will be deeply felt by many.

3. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member

New Mexico
    :tulip:Am also very sorry to hear this. Very grateful for his dedication and hard work.:tulip:....And if you can hear me Dr. Lerner........thank you for never giving up on the virus hypothesis.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  4. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Sad , helped so many directly as Well as people like me indirectlty. I hope thete is someone to carry onhis research legacy ..

thank you dr lerner for your service to the cfsme community..will be badly missed.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    Ecoclimber, rosie26, Tammy and 5 others like this.
  5. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
  6. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    Ecoclimber and heapsreal like this.
  7. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Making the most of it

Australia
    Sad news. His efforts to help us are greatly appreciated.

Ecoclimber, WillowJ, rosie26 and 2 others like this.
  8. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    So sad to hear of Dr Lerner's passing and the loss of another great doctor. He helped so very many patients, like heaps said directly and indirectly. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Ecoclimber, WillowJ, rosie26 and 4 others like this.
  9. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    I am very sorry to hear this and almost saw him in 2013 when I first became ill but had no idea what was wrong with me. We thought he was in Beverly Hills, CA and were ready to book an appt but then realized he was in BH, Michigan! So I never saw him but read a lot of his articles which were very helpful. Sending prayers to his family, friends, and patients and he helped many people throughout his life. RIP Dr. Lerner.

10. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I am so sorry to hear this. He dedicated so much of his life to helping this community--and did succeed in helping so many patients.

May you Rest in Peace Dr. Lerner.

11. flsun13

flsun13

Lakeland Florida
    I saw him Thursday, and he seemed great. Back to his old self. Heard of the news yesterday, and I was devastated.
    May he rest in peace. He was the best doctor that I have ever had.
    The staff does not think that anyone will take over the practice. So sad.

12. RUkiddingME

RUkiddingME Senior Member

Canada
    RIP Dr. Lerner and THANK YOU for all you have done for so many patients.

Ecoclimber, WillowJ, rosie26 and 3 others like this.
  13. SOC

SOC

Dr Lerner was a brilliant doctor, and one of the first to dedicate a practice to treating PWME. His contributions to the field of clinical treatment of ME are immeasurable.

He won my heart when it was clear that he was personally invested in improving my then-teenage daughter's health. He was as thrilled as we were when she made great strides. Treating PWME was not just a job for Dr Lerner, it was a vocation.

Rest in Peace, Dr Lerner. You earned it.

14. ghosalb

ghosalb

upstate NY
    Rest in peace Dr. Lerner.....thank you for being one of the few doctors who was smart enough to understand this illness and caring enough to treat it...... My sincere thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and patients/

Ecoclimber, beaker, rosie26 and 4 others like this.
  15. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

someone should start an e-card for his family.

such a huge loss to our community. what a trail blazer he was. he was like the ME community's antiviral grandfather, and dr. montoya is the antiviral father and dr. kogelnick is the antiviral son.

Ecoclimber, Sushi, Gingergrrl and 2 others like this.
  16. Vineyard1

Vineyard1

Dr. Lerner....thank you for being you....and may your spirit twirl with delight...

Ecoclimber, Sushi, beaker and 3 others like this.
  17. flsun13

flsun13

Lakeland Florida
    I spoke earlier today with the people of his practice, and he worked until the day that he died. Previously that day he was checking patient files. He truly cared about his patients. Even with cancer he kept seeing his patients because he knew that they needed him. What a great doc. I have been to so many doctors that do not care; maybe they did once upon a time, but now they are machines that spend 5 min with a patient. Doctor Lerner usually spend at least 20-30 min with me. He cared.
    I will be praying for you.
    Thank you for all you did for us.

18. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    More sad news... One of the few doctors that cared deeply and dedicated decades to us...

Ecoclimber, WillowJ, Sushi and 2 others like this.
  19. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    @flsun13 Wow, that is incredible! I am so sorry for your loss of your doctor. Although I never met him, I feel a little glimpse into his last days through reading this thread. On my last day of work in 2014 (due to ME/CFS) it was so hard to let go and I was on the phone with patients and their families down to the last minute b/c I knew there were things if I did not do them, they would never occur. When I left this bothered me for months so I relate to him in this weird way. But I know he did everything he could and his work on earth is complete.

Ecoclimber, rosie26, Sushi and 2 others like this.
  20. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Very sad news. Wish more doctors were like him, he obviously cared and believed. Had I been in the U.S. I would have seen him. I'm grateful for all he did for us.

See more popular forum discussions.