• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

In Memory of Dr. A. Martin Lerner

Untitled.png

Funeral Home Notice

Dr. A. Martin Lerner, 86, of Birmingham, Michigan, died on 05 October 2015.

A Funeral will be held at The Davidson/Hermelin Chapel at Clover Hill Park on Wednesday, 07 October 2015 at 3:30 PM.

Rabbi Harold Loss and Cantorial Soloist Neil Michaels will officiate.

Interment at Clover Hill Park Cemetery.
Click for Directions for Cemetery

The family of Dr. A. Martin Lerner will be gathering through the evening of Thursday, October 08 at the residence, 590 Wallace St., Birmingham Mi 48009 for friends to call. The phone number is 248-540-7217.

Religious Services will be held at 7:00 P.M. Wednesday and Thursday Evenings.

THE FAMILY WILL GATHER IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THE BURIAL AT CLOVER HILL THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING AND WILL GATHER THURSDAY AFTERNOON UNTIL 5:00 P.M, AND FROM 6:30 P.M. UNTIL 8:30 P.M. THURSDAY EVENING.

Family members include:
Beloved wife of Lueva Dixon Lerner; Cherished father of Joshua D. (Susan) Lerner, Joel (Shannon) Lerner and Elizabeth (Ben) Hetzer; Loving Papa Martin of Johanna Lerner, Benjamin Lerner, Henry Lerner, Drew Hetzer and Reese Hetzer; Brother of the late Leonard Lerner and the late Rhoda Lerner.

It is suggested that those who wish to further honor the memory of Dr. A. Martin Lerner may do so by making a contribution to:

A Charity of Your Choice

shannah

So very sorry to hear that Dr. Lerner has passed on. My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

He was a much beloved member of our community and a wonderful example of dedication and perseverance. His loss will be deeply felt by many.

Gingergrrl

I am very sorry to hear this and almost saw him in 2013 when I first became ill but had no idea what was wrong with me. We thought he was in Beverly Hills, CA and were ready to book an appt but then realized he was in BH, Michigan! So I never saw him but read a lot of his articles which were very helpful. Sending prayers to his family, friends, and patients and he helped many people throughout his life. RIP Dr. Lerner.

SOC

Dr Lerner was a brilliant doctor, and one of the first to dedicate a practice to treating PWME. His contributions to the field of clinical treatment of ME are immeasurable.

He won my heart when it was clear that he was personally invested in improving my then-teenage daughter's health. He was as thrilled as we were when she made great strides. Treating PWME was not just a job for Dr Lerner, it was a vocation.

Rest in Peace, Dr Lerner. You earned it.

Rrrr

someone should start an e-card for his family.

such a huge loss to our community. what a trail blazer he was. he was like the ME community's antiviral grandfather, and dr. montoya is the antiviral father and dr. kogelnick is the antiviral son.

I spoke earlier today with the people of his practice, and he worked until the day that he died. Previously that day he was checking patient files. He truly cared about his patients. Even with cancer he kept seeing his patients because he knew that they needed him. What a great doc. I have been to so many doctors that do not care; maybe they did once upon a time, but now they are machines that spend 5 min with a patient. Doctor Lerner usually spend at least 20-30 min with me. He cared.
I will be praying for you.
Thank you for all you did for us.

Gingergrrl

I spoke earlier today with the people of his practice, and he worked until the day that he died. Previously that day he was checking patient files

@flsun13 Wow, that is incredible! I am so sorry for your loss of your doctor. Although I never met him, I feel a little glimpse into his last days through reading this thread. On my last day of work in 2014 (due to ME/CFS) it was so hard to let go and I was on the phone with patients and their families down to the last minute b/c I knew there were things if I did not do them, they would never occur. When I left this bothered me for months so I relate to him in this weird way. But I know he did everything he could and his work on earth is complete.