• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

In Memory of Bean Haskell 1986-2018

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
I recently stumbled across this obituary for a high school classmate of mine, which lists complications from ME as the cause of death. I only knew them peripherally in high school, and didn't know that they were sick.

Bean attended the New School in New York City, and will be awarded a posthumous degree at this year's commencement in recognition of their accomplishments as a writer, poet, and person.

Screen-Shot-2018-06-01-at-3.04.03-PM.png

Seven7

Seven
RIP
I don’t mean to detail this but when they said only 2 plp has death cert was that only UK?
Or there is some in USA or is this the first in USA making the world wide count 3?!

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
I don't know if ME was put on their death certificate, but that's what her friends/family wrote in their obituary.

Last edited:

outdamnspot

This really broke my heart; I know it's really futile (and possibly insensitive) to compare, but I just felt this tremendous sadness this week .. we get a huge outpouring over a celebrity passing like Anthony Bourdain (who, comparatively, lived a full life), but an ME death will just go unnoticed and unheeded. Sometimes, I feel a strange sense of kinship with people I've never met. There are parallels between our stories -- similar age, Jewish background, immigrants, forays into writing. It makes the suffering less lonely; but also awful, of course, that it has to occur in the first place. I looked up some of her poetry and she was really talented. I want to say "rest in peace" but I am too angry something like this occurred. In a just world, she would still be here.

Last edited: