When the 'Holiday Season' Is No Holiday at all for Those With ME/CFS
Is December getting to you? Jody Smith shares some thoughts on some of the struggles that all too often attend this time of year ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

In Memory of Anne Örtegren

Discussion in 'In Memory of ...' started by Countrygirl, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    Warning: Do not read this if you are feeling particularly low.
    [​IMG]

Anne has just left us, I think in the last few hours. As I understand it, she decided to end her life at the Swiss clinic. She was a great advocate who suffered severely from ME and, like me, the intolerable buring skin problem whereby you cannot tolerate fabic, even silk touching your skin.

She has wriiten this farewell to the ME community. It is very long but is an excellent article which could be shown to family and friends and others, who do not understand

[​IMG]

lobel.nu/anne.html

copy and paste the link for the complete article

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2018
    -Jessie- and bspg like this.
  2. maybe some day

maybe some day Senior Member

San Francisco bay area
    Sorry to read about her suffering. Sounds like it was quite severe with no escape from symptoms. Thank you for sharing.

3. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    Thanks for posting @Countrygirl - I can't "like" your post but appreciate it. I cannot imagine that level of suffering with no way to ease it --

4. Nickster

Nickster Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    This is so very sad. The suffering and torture from this disease is indescribable. I respect her wishes to end the suffering.

I commend her for bringing this public and hope the medical community is listening. I know that I have heard you Anne.

MEMum likes this.
  5. Laurie P

Laurie P

New England, USA
    I hear you too, Anne. I’m so sorry that you suffered so much and that you couldn’t stay any longer. I understand. To her loved ones, I send my heartfelt sympathy and deepest compassion.

Joh likes this.
  6. Mel9

Mel9 Senior Member

NSW Australia
    So very very sad

MEMum likes this.
  7. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member

My God...May she rest in Peace...

8. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member

What a horrific life of suffering. :-( May she rest in peace.

9. bombsh3ll

bombsh3ll Senior Member

A dignified and courageous lady. God bless you Anne, may you be at peace now.

10. boombachi

boombachi Senior Member

Hampshire, UK
    So sad to read but also so important. Thank you for posting.

11. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member

A very courageous woman fighting to the last for the rest of us. You've been an inspiration. Thank you Anne and RIP.

Joh likes this.
  12. lauluce

lauluce as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope

argentina
    rest in peace now, sister. your fight will always be remembered, and we'll carry on with it, for all our brothers and sisters with ME

13. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    http://www.investinme.org/AnneÖrtegren.shtml
    [​IMG]

Farewell to a Friend

Today we had the very sad news that Anne Örtegren from Sweden had passed away.

We considered Anne a dear friend.

This news has come as a great shock.

Our condolences to Anne's family.

Anne Örtegren

[​IMG]We never met Anne Örtegren in person. Yet we counted her as a true friend.

When we look at the correspondence with Anne we can see it had started in 2007 - a year after we were formed as a charity.

In all the correspondence that we had with Anne one always admired the resilience, the articulate nature of her commenting, her strength of character, her dedication and her determination to continue to battle this disease, to help others and to be there to make progress.

We instinctively trusted and liked Anne from the first time we communicated. She was a rock – somebody whose opinion we valued and whose help and support we greatly appreciated. And she was generous with her support.

Anne’s determination to help us and to encourage Swedish researchers to participate was a shining light for us.

Her help behind the scenes – she was never one to promote herself or seek the limelight for the sake of it – led to real collaborations between researchers who met at our Colloquiums.

She was an example to us all.

An unimaginable void has now appeared in ME advocacy – someone who is irreplaceable.

Though we knew Anne was suffering, and had been for such a long time, we were still communicating with her until very recently and had no knowledge of what was to transpire.

Her spirit was just an inspiration.

It is very difficult to read Anne’s last post (below).

Not just because of the suffering and pain and hopelessness that she describes – but because Anne was so articulate in describing her situation – never with self-pity, always displaying the same courage that she showed in her life.

We lost a friend today and it is hard to pick oneself up at this time.

A light has gone out and the world is all the darker for it.

When we lose a friend we lose a part of ourselves

Yet there are those who leave footprints in one's memory whom one will always remember.

Anne Örtegren is such a person.

[​IMG]

Farewell – A Last Post from Anne Örtegren

Anne's facebook page is here https://www.facebook.com/anne.ortegren

MEMum, -Jessie- and Jo Best like this.
  14. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    This is tragic and I am so sorry that you suffered so much, Anne. May flights of angels sing thee to thy rest and may your memory be a blessing to all who knew you.

Pink, Countrygirl and MEMum like this.
  15. Each Day

Each Day

UK
    Very sad, rest in peace.

Countrygirl likes this.
  16. char47

char47 Senior Member

I never had the privilege of knowing you Anne but our world is poorer without you in it. Rest in peace now free of suffering & pain, you will be sadly missed & your memory will live on among us all.

I can barely tolerate the idea of another year as i am & i am nowhere near as bad as she & so many others. I take my hat off to anyone who endures very severe ME for a wk, never mind years on end. I couldn't have stood as long as she did I'm sure.

:(

maybe some day likes this.
  17. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

Thank you for posting @Countrygirl. It is some comfort to know that Anne had the support of her loved ones and expert assistance in bringing her many years of intolerable suffering to an end.

Countrygirl likes this.
  18. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

crying

wish I could have hugged her

maybe some day and Countrygirl like this.

See more popular forum discussions.