1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Knitting Equals Pleasure, Despite ME/CFS
Jody Smith loves knitting. Again. She thought her days of knitting and purling were long over but ... she's back ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

In Brief: Mitochondria and ME

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Firestormm, Oct 17, 2013.

1. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    The role of diet is supressed because of the interests of big business in using the nastiest, cheapest ingredients in manufacturing.

How can a woman "build" a healthy baby from hydrogenated fats, fructose syrup and "mechanically recovered meat"?

MeSci likes this.
  2. Leopardtail

Leopardtail Senior Member

England
    Legendrew,

We need research into treatment and cause.

I fully agree the research needs to be followed up. Myhill is however a doctor first and a researcher second. I would actually like to see others following up and repeating her research - that gives the scientific credibility of repeatability. The problem is funding is short and repeating good research is not as sexy and the novel.

Myhill's view is that food- and environmental- based toxins may be causing the Mitochondrial dysfunction. She sticks to the proven however in her papers. Personally I find the stone age diet a little too extreme, but it is rooted in that view.

I do think it is worth comparing ME to diabetes though. The cause is autoimmune, and genetic - the solution (for now) however is Insulin injection and blood monitoring. Diabetics are still waiting for a better solution, but int he meantime their lives are greatly improved. My view is that research efforts need to be devoted both to what causes it and what can be done to treat it now.

If we can arrest the Mito dysfunction, lives will improve even if it's not the root cause. We are also to prevent the build up of side effects if this is dealt with.

For now the whole picture seems far too complicated to hope for a cause to be found in less than decades. Serious diabetes research took near 100 years to come up with a both a root cause and a clear picture of what's going on. Even now there are doubts amongst some whether those root causes (different types of diabetes) have other upstream causes in and of themselves.

One further point, trying to argue about cause rather than effect too soon causes a lot of academic argument. A shift to a focus in pathophysiology would put the emphasis on what can be agreed better promote working together and improving understanding.

Radio likes this.
  3. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    I see you haven't yet participated in the leaky gut forum.

There are threads there that discuss how leaky gut can cause autoimmunity, and I have posted links to papers which postulate, backed by evidence, how this may occur and how it might be treated. You may find the links in my post no. 6 on this page particularly relevant to your stated interests. It includes a study on leaky gut, diabetes and coeliac disease and the autoimmune connections.

4. Leopardtail

England
    Thanks for that MeSci, I will take a look at it.

5. Leopardtail

England
    I have only the briefest outline of the microbial issues relating to ME in the gut. What expertise I have relates more to Neurotransmitters and Hormones and the effect they have on 'flow'.

With immunology likewise I have a good overview of the 'order of failure' and a bit more knowledge of the impact of endocrinology on those systems. As yet my knowledge (I feel) is not rigorous enough to step into that debate.

For now my view of the endocrinology gives me some ideas what might cause the leaky gut, but not it's impact or treatment.

Watching the debate and picking up some views will be interesting though.

;-)

See more popular forum discussions.