Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Improving academic success for students with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Here are some extracts

Battery Muncher and Valentijn like this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Battery Muncher likes this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I can relate to this. (Though some of it may be a problem for any people who are not fluent in a language. But any extra problems make it worse)

5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Battery Muncher likes this.
  7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Battery Muncher, Valentijn and ukxmrv like this.
  9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

There is a lot more than this. I just concentrated on what I thought were the most important points and/or those I thought were the most realistic.

11. Denise

Denise Senior Member

I was disappointed by several things.
    Among them:
    this article was published in a journal (Fatigue) few educators would consider looking at and the article is therefore unlikely to help many (any?) students,
    the article did not information about the illness or at least provide a reference for a definition since few educators (in the US) are knowledgeable about it,
    the strategies mentioned were not also provided in a table or box format (so educators could easily reference them),
    there was no information about unpredictability and duration of PEM (it is referred to simply as "prolonged symptom flare-ups),
    and there was nothing in the article to help students who are so sick they cannot attend school at all.

Edited to add - I don't see any original research in this article, but rather a compilation of some tips for educators. For the record - I am not implying that compiling tips isn't useful.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    Valentijn and Dolphin like this.
  12. Denise

Denise Senior Member

@Dolphin I edited my post (in case you want to unlike).

"Edited to add - I don't see any original research in this article, but rather a compilation of some tips for educators. For the record - I am not implying that compiling tips isn't useful."

13. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

That's very considerate of you. I'm happy to leave my like.

14. Denise

Denise Senior Member

Dolphin likes this.
  15. Battery Muncher

Battery Muncher Senior Member

I found this very interesting! Is there any way to get hold of the full article?

16. SOC

SOC

Thanks, @Dolphin for pointing out this article. If I can get access to the full article, I will definitely be using some of my limited cognitive energy to read it in detail.

The parts Dolphin has quoted are entirely consistent with my experience tutoring students with ME. My students have not lost their ability to handle advanced subjects, but physical and mental fatiguability, and executive functioning deficits get in the way of education in any traditional mode. A major problem is one that seems to have been covered only briefly:
    So while the accommodations mentioned can certainly help students with mild or possibly mild/moderate ME succeed in school, they are not going to solve the problems of students with moderate-to-severe ME who cannot walk around a school building or maintain effective cognitive function for several hours at a time even at slowed-processing levels.

Kudos to Faith Newton for addressing this important issue. I hope she, or someone else, addresses the needs of students with moderate/severe ME who are being schooled in alternative ways -- homeschool, school-supported home education, and so on.

See more popular forum discussions.