• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Improving ability to study

Tally

Has anyone discovered any prescription drug or supplement that has helped them study?

I am weeks away from receiving my M.Sc. degree. I have been weeks away from receiving my M.Sc. degree for almost 3 years now. I used to be an excellent student but since I got ME/CFS I have not been able to make ANY progress. I know pacing and taking it easy is important but if I pushed myself to get trough this then I would at least have my degree and finally be able to relax. This way I can never truly relax nor move forward. I feel stuck. If there was something that could improve my concentration and mental stamina just for a short while it would make a world of difference to me. :thumbsup:

Seven7

Seven
COQ10 400mg did the trick for me ( now I do 200/day) . Careful not all brands are equal. I use nature's bounty.
Fish oil 4,000 / day.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
n-acetyl tyrosine on an empty stomache, also look into racetams like piracetam and aniracetam. Aniracetam i found better as it gave good cognitive abilities compared to piracetam as it made me groggy, but its a trial and error thing between them??
Im thinking of studying as well, but i dont think i could committ to something like that yet??

good luck

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Co Q10, l Carnitine (Carniclear), balanced hormones like Pregnenalone, Magnesium, Liposomal Glutathione are just a few.

Wayne

Nootropics - Piracetam for Studying/Memory

Has anyone discovered any prescription drug or supplement that has helped them study? ... If there was something that could improve my concentration and mental stamina just for a short while it would make a world of difference to me. :thumbsup:

Hi Tally,

I researched Piracetam several years ago, and have experimented with it. The literature says Piracetam will help "wake up the brain". It also describes how it is supposed to help the two hemispheres of the brain communicate with each other.

The recommended dosage is 800 mg., up to 3 times/day. My first 800 mg. capsule sort of sent me flying. I quickly discovered I could only tolerate about 100 mg. once a day. As time went by, I noticed I could tolerate less and less, until I finally realized there was a price to pay for the benefits I was noticing.

I would describe the benefits as being somewhat similar to coffee. I discovered it did tend to perk me up, and help make mental tasks a bit easier. I also noticed it helped me do a bit more physical activity. The price however, was it could cause me to crash mildly. The more I take, the harder the crash, leaving me with sort of a wired out feeling.

These days, I reserve my use of Piracetam for those times when I absolutely, positively, have to get something done. Ill take just a very small amount (perhaps about 10-20 mg), and put it in my morning tea. If I get the dosage just right, it can be very helpful for several hours, with a very minimal crash. But if I try to do this for several days, this delicate balance gets tipped, and I begin to pay for the extended use.

I got my Piracetam at a health food store called Harvest Moon in Kansas (without a prescription). I've heard it is very popular in other countries and is often used on surgery patients. The reason is that it helps the body use oxygen and if oxygen flow is disrupted during surgery, damage can be delayed from a normal of 5 minutes to as much as 45 minutes.

I believe Piracetam is technically a drug (a nootropic drug, or smart drug as they're called) that has a formulation based on the amino acid l-pyroglutamic acid. I read some people can get very good benefits from just taking the l-pyroglutamic acid. When I tried it however, I found the benefits to be modest, and had nowhere near the punch as the Piracetam.

I would recommend giving Piracetam a try, although I would start out at a very low dose to see what affect it might have. I've come to believe it is quite safe, and it's easy for me to see how it could be quite helpful for some PWCs.

I've noticed that more retail (online) outlets sell it now than in the past, and I would suggest shopping around a bit for better prices and/or more choices (such as other "cetams" as heapsreal suggested). Good luck with finding something that works for you. One other thing: When I started taking digestive enzymes, I immediately noticed an improvement in my ability to read.

Best Regards, Wayne

Adderol helped keep me functioning at work and studies have demonstrated it's effectiveness u
In increasing cognitive function of cfs individuals.

Ivana

try Gingo biloba supplements, or if u can get the oral liquid, place it under ur tongue.. it will get to the brain quicker

Tally

Thank you all for your suggestions. I guess I have a lot of choices. Hopefully one of them will help. :)

taniaaust1

Take care with trialing new things seeing you are only weeks away from exams... even innocently sounding things some times can make a person crash esp if you are sensitive to drugs.

things in my case which helped my brain function was twice weekly vitamin B12 injections (I started noticing improvement at the second week of taking them. It helped my memory)..

and finding out I had a molybdenum deficiency so started molybdenum supplements (improvement came between day 3-day 5 of starting it.. on that I could add things up inside my head again).

Everyones different though. But B12 does help many (note..some can even react bad to that).

***note.. students with health issues can be given extra time to do exams and other special consessions may be made if you get a doctors letter and approach your school/uni about the fact you have health issues.

Tally

Thank you for your advice.

Luckily I am not weeks away from exams, I passed all exams 2 years ago. I just have master thesis left but I was not able to work on it at all. I am desperate for finding something that might help, even if I crash on the way there a few times. I need to get this out of my way because I can't delay it endlessly and it would be a pity to lose the degree.

barbc56

I take nuvigil for my sleep problems. It's a medication for narcolepsy but is also used for excessive daytime sleepiness.

It really helps me concentrate as well as energy. For some reason it also helps with pain. What I like about it is it doesn't hype me up like to much caffeine. It just makes me feel closer to normal. However, talk to your doctor about something like this as sometimes you have to have a sleep disorder in order to have this medication approved by health insurance.

Good luck.

Barb C.:>)