• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Improvements during menstruation?

pattismith

Anyone else experience this?
It started to happen last summer while I was taking high dose vitamin D, closest to remission id get was during my menstruation.
From what I know this is opposite to most Lyme peoples (and ME too) complaints, who get worse during menstruation.
I have this pattern of having some things opposite (like more fatigue if i dont stay active in "forced" aka pacing limits. But still even if i dont feel like it, dont feel to move, i have to do it because then I crash if i dont ).
I actually also feel better after activity unless it is severely overdone.
also feel better with alcohol

But back to menstruation, progesterone drops?! What else could cause this...
:-/

Currently i am trying to recover from years of antibiotics that even though helped some lyme symptoms, severely messed up my gut I guess and worsened my ME.

I was mostly mild ME case but with severe circadian sleep problems and cognitive (not only part of CCC definition, like i had motoric/psychomotoric problems like apraxia).
So sleep and brain things made me unable to function, not PEM, i never had mental PEM until this year.

I take mostly antivirals now, they did not help in the past when i tried, but now help,because i stated to have daily mental PEM! Which antivirals stopped.Thank God i figured it's viral.
Currently i am closest to my pre-abx level, still not there.
My head hurts like balloon and feel like deep in brain is explosion or something growing. :-/
So i guess antibiotics made my viruses reactivate.First time ever I have soar throat..

During menstruation, both progesterone, oestrogens and testosterone drop, so it's difficult to say which drop benefits to you.

Do you have head pressure? you may have a look in this thread:

pibee

Do you have head pressure? you may have a look in this thread:

Yes. Nonstop - 247- headpressure
I never had a headache in my life before treating Lyme.
What is spooky is that areas of my brain that hurt are the ones that dont work
Example, when i have pain on top of my head bilateral... Approx in motor and premotor area - i have motor problems (apraxia), when i have in frontal lobe, i got problma with processing etc

Before i had all these sympoms but never pain. Now just symptoms match pain locations.

Link is not working btw

EDIT:
Ow, i assume your link was about intracranial hypertension.
Yes i consider this very likely
Especially because it got worse with doxycycline.

But it is triggered during herxes. I got many other symptoms with herx, that went away eventually, but headache is very stubborn. Started w pressure but than transformed to headache + pressure.
Neurologist didnt even bother to keep me in hospital , one of those who dont know what ME stands for.

Seems i have this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_daily_persistent_headache

Last edited:

pattismith

EDIT:
Ow, i assume your link was about intracranial hypertension.
Yes i consider this very likely
Especially because it got worse with doxycycline.

I believe I have intracranial hypertension, for me it was worsened by Doxy, by Macrolides and by Metronidazole. It has nothing to do with Heirx, it's a side effect of these antibiotics.
You should receive a treatment for it.

Lyme and EBV (mononucleosis) are known triggers for this condition:

http://ihrfoundation.org/hypertension/info/C17/

pibee

I believe I have intracranial hypertension, for me it was worsened by Doxy, by Macrolides and by Metronidazole. It has nothing to do with Heirx, it's a side effect of these antibiotics.
You should receive a treatment for it.
For me it has everything to do with herx. I had lyme and bartonella [symptoms] for over 20 years and never had a headache.
When I started to treat it with antibiotics I had severe herx reaction which gave me about 100 new symptoms I never had even for a minute (like fibromyalgia, neuropathies.... electricity through spine).. And as mentioned head pressure.

Lyme and EBV (mononucleosis) are known triggers for this condition:

http://ihrfoundation.org/hypertension/info/C17/

I know. I was researching IH for a while, however I dont have neurologist who gives a fuck :( she just gave me Lyrica without even considering IH. And IH is so likely...

Last edited:

pattismith

I know. I was researching IH for a while, however I dont have neurologist who gives a fuck :( she just gave me Lyrica without even considering IH. And IH is so likely...

I think you musn't give up with this possibility. You can also talk about it with your GP and try to get a prescription for Diamox, it's worth a trial and is not so risky. I took only small doses and it worked.

Do you have muscular symptoms?

pibee

@pattismith , Muscular like what?

Not much, not really.
Headache, cognitive problems and fatigue is "all" i have

I am guessing IV saline is a big no no if you have IH?
I take extra salt, should I avoid?

Last edited:

pattismith

@pattismith , Muscular like what?

Not much, not really.
Headache, cognitive problems and fatigue is "all" i have

I am guessing IV saline is a big no no if you have IH?
I take extra salt, should I avoid?

Sorry I'm not a doctor pibee, I couldn't say if it may help.