• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Implications of low LDH (lactate dehydrogenase) in ME?

Thinktank

Since becoming ill i've tested low in LDH (lactate dehydrogenase), doctors always waived it as not important so i haven't given it much thought. Today i stumbled upon a page on healthline about LDH mentioning the following:

LDH deficiency affects how the body breaks down sugar for use as energy in cells, particularly muscle cells. It’s very rare for a person to have low LDH levels.

Two types of genetic mutations cause low LDH levels. People with the first type will experience fatigue and muscle pain, while those with the second type may have no symptoms at all.

From wikipedia:
LDH catalyzes the conversion of lactate to pyruvic acid and back, as it converts NAD+ to NADH and back. A dehydrogenase is an enzyme that transfers a hydride from one molecule to another.

A deficiency in LDH type A is also called glycogen storage disease XI.

To me it sounds like a deficiency in LDH will exacerbate ME, or may be misdiagnosed as ME.

More info:
https://www.mda.org/disease/metabolic-diseases-of-muscle/types/lactate-dehydrogenase-deficiency

Anyone else here with repetively low LDH?