• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Imperial College now offering PCR XMRV testing

Kati

Patient in training
just fresh news here:

http://wwwfom.sk.med.ic.ac.uk/medic..._diseases/mdu/diagnosticservices/xmrvtesting/

for 200 pounds you can get certified PCR negative!!!

XMRV Detection testing

Scope of the test
Infection with the newly discovered retrovirus xenotropic murine leukaemia virus-related virus (XMRV) has been associated with prostate cancer [1, 2] and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) [3]. No causal link between infection and any human disease has been proven and the association between XMRV and prostate cancer or CFS remains controversial [4-6]. Indeed, in a study in our own laboratory of 186 patients with well-defined CFS we failed to detect the virus in any sample [7].

Test details
The test uses the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) to detect XMRV provirus (the DNA form of the viral genome) in peripheral blood mononuclear cells. The limit of detection of the method is one XMRV proviral DNA copy in 105 cells. The test includes controls for non-specific inhibition of PCR to avoid false negative results. The method is a fully validated in-house method. A summary of the validation is available from the Unit Manager.

Reporting results
The results will be reported as “XMRV detected” or “XMRV not detected”, the test is not quantitative at present.

Turnaround time
We aim to issue reports within two weeks of receiving a sample. Details of samples and sample shipment are given on the user instruction page [weblink]. Please note we can only accept test requests and samples from medical practitioners (GPs or hospital doctors) we will not accept test requests directly from patients.

Charges
The current charge for testing is 200/sample.

Complaints
If you are unhappy with the service provided by MDU or if you wish to make suggestions on how our service can be improved, please contact the Unit Manager.

References
Urisman A, Molinaro RJ, Fischer N Plummer SJ, Casey G et al. (2006) Identification of a novel gammaretrovirus in prostate tumors of patients homozygous for R462Q RNaseL variant. PLoS Pathog. 2: 211- 225.
Schlaberg R, Choe DJ, Brown KR, Thaker HM, Singh IR (2009) XMRV is present in malignant prostatic epithelium and is associated with prostate cancer, especially high-grade tumours. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 106: 16351-6
Lombardi V, Ruscetti FW, Gupta JD, Pfost MA, Hagen KS et al. (2009) Detection of an infectious retrovirus, XMRV, in blood cells of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. Science 326: 585-589.
Fischer N, Hellwinkel O, Schulz C, Chun FK, Huland H et al. (2008) Prevalence of human gamma retrovirus XMRV in sporadic prostate cancer. J Clin Virol. 43: 277-283.
D’Arcy FR, Foley A, Perry L, Marignol L, Lawler M et al. (2008) No evidence of XMRV in Irish prostate cancer patients with the R462Q mutations. European Urology 7 Suppl: 271
Hohn O, Krause H, Barbarotto P, Niederstadt L, Beimforde N et al. (2009) Lack of evidence for xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV) in German prostate cancer patients. Retrovirology 6:92.
Erlwein O, Kaye S, McClure MO, Weber J, Wills G, Collier D, Wessely S, Cleare A. (2010) Failure to detect the novel retrovirus XMRV in chronic fatigue syndrome. PLoS One. 2010; 5: e8519.

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
Take a look at the reference list. Interesting that there is no comment about the studies but they are still cited.

Urisman A, Molinaro RJ, Fischer N Plummer SJ, Casey G et al. (2006) Identification of a novel gammaretrovirus in prostate tumors of patients homozygous for R462Q RNaseL variant. PLoS Pathog. 2: 211- 225.

Schlaberg R, Choe DJ, Brown KR, Thaker HM, Singh IR (2009) XMRV is present in malignant prostatic epithelium and is associated with prostate cancer, especially high-grade tumours. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 106: 16351-6

Lombardi V, Ruscetti FW, Gupta JD, Pfost MA, Hagen KS et al. (2009) Detection of an infectious retrovirus, XMRV, in blood cells of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. Science 326: 585-589.

Fischer N, Hellwinkel O, Schulz C, Chun FK, Huland H et al. (2008) Prevalence of human gamma retrovirus XMRV in sporadic prostate cancer. J Clin Virol. 43: 277-283.

DArcy FR, Foley A, Perry L, Marignol L, Lawler M et al. (2008) No evidence of XMRV in Irish prostate cancer patients with the R462Q mutations. European Urology 7 Suppl: 271

Hohn O, Krause H, Barbarotto P, Niederstadt L, Beimforde N et al. (2009) Lack of evidence for xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV) in German prostate cancer patients. Retrovirology 6:92.

Erlwein O, Kaye S, McClure MO, Weber J, Wills G, Collier D, Wessely S, Cleare A. (2010) Failure to detect the novel retrovirus XMRV in chronic fatigue syndrome. PLoS One. 2010; 5: e8519.

V99

I would not trust my life to them.

Which countries are they hoping to find XMRV in, if not the UK?
They clearly want to make some money, disgusting!

CBS

They have proclaimed to the world that they cannot find a single case of XMRV.

This really has to be the most cynical thing I've ever seen. I cannot imagine how they think the world will respond to this?

meandthecat

Do they really think that we are that gullible? They must be confusing us with people who haven't been pilloried, vilified and shunned; having experienced derision and scorn delivered as only doctors know how. Get real IC; out to make a quick buck just like any other shyster.

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
They have proclaimed to the world that they cannot find a single case of XMRV.

This really has to be the most cynical thing I've ever seen. I cannot imagine how they think the world will respond to this?

CBS, I just wonder who "they" are. Might there be different departments working on different things and not in agreement with each other? Is the "they" who announced no XMRV in the UK the same as the "they" who are offering tests? Anyone know?

K

Katie

Shame there's no contact form, I was going to write,

"Are you kidding?"

CBS

Gracenote,

To me the 'they' is the lab and the text clearly says:

Indeed, in a study in our own laboratory of 186 patients with well-defined CFS we failed to detect the virus in any sample [7].

Adam

April Fools

No Katie. I go to see my Hospital Consultant on 1st April:eek:. So unless I lost track of time:Retro tongue:. It is 1990 isn't it?:confused: I think you are mistaken.:D

V99

It would be interesting if someone already diagnosed with XMRV were to be tested by them.

G

George

Heehheehhoohohhhheeehe

(wiping tears of mirth from my eyes) I think these folks have gone round the bend. Partly, I really believe, they think that they can control the testing. (snort, giggle, ar, ar,) I think they believe they can lure the patients who have only a basic ideal of what's going on into paying them 200 (pounds) and getting a negative back. Instead of having them send off to a VIPdx. They must be just chewing ground glass thinking about all the patients who have been tested and came back positive. Cause, they told two friends and they told two friends. . . (grins)

Now if they can get a bunch of not to "in the know" people to pony up the money and take the test which will then come back negative this means they could then control the now very, very depressed CFS patients by putting out in the newspaper, and media "see, none of our people have XMRV". (head slapping, eye rolling, choking on a bone)

That's just desperate!

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
The Faculty of Medicine is organised into six schools, institutes and departments.

See how the old divisons have been mapped to new Schools, Institutes and Departments structure.

Our new Faculty structure as of 1 January 2010

http://wwwfom.sk.med.ic.ac.uk/medicine/divisions/

See link for the new structure.

I wonder if the reorganization of their department structure has anything to do with the study coming out so quickly, and then the test being offered now.

I just think there's more to this story.

V99

Sorry, not thinking very clearly. Give me an idea of why you think there is more to the story?

CBS

Gracenote,

I seriously doubt that there's a commercially available test that the IC hasn't told anyone about. So, I'm assuming that the lab that did the XMRV study is the same lab that is offering the test. Could there really be two labs in the IC with competing XMRV tests?

If so, maybe Wessley sent his samples to the wrong lab!

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
Sorry, not thinking very clearly. Give me an idea of why you think there is more to the story?

Truly I don't have any clear thinking going on right now either. I'm just kind of putting out stuff hoping that someone might know more about this.

I'm just wondering because of how it WAS with Reeves at the CDC making his statement about XMRV and then XMRV testing getting sent to a different department from his, and now Reeves being reassigned. The CDC is not ONE thing and the different departments are not all in agreement with each other. Sorry I can't articulate this better.