1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Impaired Range of Motion of Limbs and Spine in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Firestormm, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Tito, Valentijn, rosie26 and 3 others like this.
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    i wonder if the general increase in inflammation we have from the immune system may increase or speed up arthirtis type conditions. I have alot of arthritic changes in the lumbar spine and cervical spine with bone spurs and facet joint arthritis. recently told my spine is alot older then me??

Maybe this shows that increased inflammation speeds up the aging process in general in many cfsme people??
    xchocoholic and WillowJ like this.
  3. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    A PT always thinks this should help, but I can't handle traction.
    Dolphin and Valentijn like this.
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    This was in adolescents and young adults ... I don't think its about aging, that is a separate issue (and probably right). My guess is that its about loss of tissue stretch, probably due to alternations of protein composition. One factor might be elevated elastase, which destroys elastin, but I do not think all of us have this. Another might be the autoantibody to HSP60. If our proteins are badly folded then this might result in problems with muscle in particular.

This is also consistent with much older research showing blood vessel stiffness in ME/CFS.

The younger patients might not be appreciably physically older, but they do seem to be prematurely ossified.
    Valentijn likes this.
  5. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

(Not too important)
    I wonder whether a reviewer encouraged them to talk about CBT and GET or whether they decided this themselves:
    WillowJ and Valentijn like this.
  7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The CFS patients were quite a flexible group:
    Generally they were matched well:
    Valentijn likes this.
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

This is from the results section:

Valentijn likes this.
  9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

They looked at some indirect measures of activity for possible effects:
    WillowJ and Valentijn like this.
  10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

They discuss how the abnormalities could be explored further:
  11. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    Any chance this is from flouroquinolones ? Frozen shoulders can be a side effect. My ROM was getting better until my last reaction to quinolones.

Tc .. x
  12. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    So is this some sort of physical therapy that we could try? What sort of practitioner would know how to do that? A physio?

I don't really get what the mechanism for causing ME symptoms is supposed to be here. Can someone sum it up in a layperson's sentence or two?
  13. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    unlikely in the entire patient group, to have been using this specific type of antibiotic. However as you say, such injury is possible in particular cases.
    http://www.merckmanuals.com/profess...and_antibacterial_drugs/fluoroquinolones.html
    in case anyone else wanted to see.
    xchocoholic likes this.
  14. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    This is what I found:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2565076/?report=classic
    I read only the abstract, though the whole paper is there, and it said the quality of papers on neural mobilization is, on the whole, poor.

and a rant, basically, by a PhD PT (physical therapist, which is think is a physiotherapist to those of you who use the other version of English), which explains what they are doing (and why he thinks it's illogical):
    http://www.jospt.org/doi/pdf/10.2519/jospt.2001.31.5.224
    It looks to me like he's saying the model is that there is inappropriate tension in the nerves causing them to lack normal motion and the PT should try to move them about a bit, to loosen them. But he thinks the posture and mobility tests used can't prove the problem is in the nerves in particular, and he also thinks the nerves in particular cannot be targeted for mobility therapy.

fwiw, I found that if you want to see a PT, the more education the better. I won't see anyone who doesn't have a Master degree. If they have or are working on a PhD, even better.
    Sasha likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.