1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Impact of Sleep and Its Disturbances on Hypothalamo-Pituitary-Adrenal Axis Activity

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Beyond, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Beyond

Beyond 10% of discount in iHerb!--> PEZ915

Murcia, Spain
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2902103/

biophile, MeSci and heapsreal like this.
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    i wonder if the extra cortisol release is because it recognises the dysfunctional sleep as a stress. Too much cortisol long term is know to worsen insulin sensitivity.

Just a thought, having sleep dysfunction long term one may end up with low cortisol from a type of burn out and the previous long bouts of high cortisol damages insulin receptors leave one insulin resistant, fat and no energy.

Another example why sleep dysfunction needs treating and we need more research going on in this field to come up with better treatments then we have now, hopefully with reduced side effects.

It would have been interesting if they had their growth hormone levels tested too.

thanks for posting,
    cheers!!
    Beyond likes this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    The liver needs to regulate fat metabolism, which is directly related to insulin sensitivity. In turn its regulated by proteins synthesized in the hypothalamus during sleep. This is an area of research that is massively under-researched. Eventually it can result in first, fatty liver, and second, type 2 diabetes.
    Beyond likes this.
  4. Beyond

Beyond 10% of discount in iHerb!--> PEZ915

Murcia, Spain
    Insomnia is an underestimated assassin!
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    MeSci likes this.
  5. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Another interesting thing about insulin sensitivity and sleep is that there is a med which is basically a quick release bromocriptine (dopamine agonist) which is now used for diabetes. Taking it first thing in the morning helps reset circadian rthyms etc and probably has other functions as well but they have found increases in insulin sensitivity.

So there is some research going on in this area but research dollars just arent spread evenly amongst illness. They know that shift workers have an increased risk from all diseases, u would think somehow researching this could prevent not only diabets but also cancer, heart disease etc

cycloset is the name of the dopamine agonist used in diabetes.
    merylg likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.