• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Immunosuppressant or immunostimulant?

Hip

Bah, I wish things were less complicated.

The simple version of Rich's theory is:

Why You Rarely Catch a Cold in ME/CFS

Some parts of the immune system are weak and not working well in ME/CFS, which means that other parts of the immune system have to fight extra hard to try to compensate for this weakness. It is actually the frontline, first-on-call troops of the immune system that are constantly fighting extra hard in order to try to compensate.

Because these frontline, first-on-call troops are fighting extra hard 24/7, any cold virus that lands in your throat is instantly wiped out by these troops.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I'm kind of a newbie so please bear with me here. First some facts:

-- I haven't had a cold or any infection at all since I got ME/CFS in 2004. Doesn't matter how much people cough at me.
-- When I become allergic to our cat I get a great energy boost.
-- Got lots of autoimmunity (RA; MS, psoriasis etc) in my family.
-- Swine flu vaccine left me feeling much better for a month.
-- Goji berries, that are supposed to stimulate the immune system, makes me feel like shit for four hours, with aching lymph nodes, heavy feeling over my chest and achy throat.

I draw the conclution that what I need is an immunosuppressant, not a stimulant. Still, the stuff mostly mentioned here, like iisoprisine, are supposed to be stimulants.

Anyone able to sort this out for me?

There is a "poll" on the forum somewhere that indicates many of us have been free of illnesses since coming down with ME/CFS.

Myself have not been sick, other than ME/CFS, in over 10 years. However this past December I was hit with cancer of the tonsils, tongue and 3 or 4 of the associated lymph nodes. I had surgery and 37 sessions of radiation and my 6 month PET-CT Scan was completely free.

I used to get colds a couple of times a year and I have never had the flu in my entire life. I used to get cold sore once or twice a year and I have not a single one since I came down with ME/CFS.

I do think in my situation that the immune system has been modified to a degree, but I can't pin down what has change. Some lab work would probably give me an idea though. I do have a couple of re-activated viruses that I have never found anyone to treat me for.

It also does seem to me that people that have came down with ME/CFS and have become likely to have chronic bacterial infections, which could be related to lymes disease or not. This is just an observation of mine and I don't know this for sure.