1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 1 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. Part 1 of a 2-part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS. Part 1 focuses...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Immunosuppressant or immunostimulant?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Ninan, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Hip

Hip Senior Member

The simple version of Rich's theory is:

Why You Rarely Catch a Cold in ME/CFS

Some parts of the immune system are weak and not working well in ME/CFS, which means that other parts of the immune system have to fight extra hard to try to compensate for this weakness. It is actually the frontline, first-on-call troops of the immune system that are constantly fighting extra hard in order to try to compensate.

Because these frontline, first-on-call troops are fighting extra hard 24/7, any cold virus that lands in your throat is instantly wiped out by these troops.
    Ninan likes this.
  2. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    There is a "poll" on the forum somewhere that indicates many of us have been free of illnesses since coming down with ME/CFS.

Myself have not been sick, other than ME/CFS, in over 10 years. However this past December I was hit with cancer of the tonsils, tongue and 3 or 4 of the associated lymph nodes. I had surgery and 37 sessions of radiation and my 6 month PET-CT Scan was completely free.

I used to get colds a couple of times a year and I have never had the flu in my entire life. I used to get cold sore once or twice a year and I have not a single one since I came down with ME/CFS.

I do think in my situation that the immune system has been modified to a degree, but I can't pin down what has change. Some lab work would probably give me an idea though. I do have a couple of re-activated viruses that I have never found anyone to treat me for.

It also does seem to me that people that have came down with ME/CFS and have become likely to have chronic bacterial infections, which could be related to lymes disease or not. This is just an observation of mine and I don't know this for sure.

See more popular forum discussions.