1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A Little Poisoning Along the Road to ME/CFS
Looking at my symptoms, many of which are far less these days and some are gone, it would be easy to figure that I'd just been dealing with some heavy-duty menopausal issues.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Immune therapy lifts hopes in fight with cancer

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by natasa778, Mar 10, 2014.

1. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...mune-system/vDttP3phfRt1J9pCzs0emM/story.html

beaverfury, NK17 and Iquitos like this.
  2. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    Interesting that they mention nivolumab above, which works by blocking PD-1 - how intriguing!
    Some more info here

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  3. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    This explains why/how blocking PD-1 would help the exhausted immune system, at least in cases where chronic infection is behind the dysfunction:

http://www.jimmunol.org/content/187/7/3730.long

Ema and heapsreal like this.
  4. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

This is particularly interesting to me because of reports that CD8+ T cells are implicated in a number of diseases with suspected viral etiology. The grim truth is that the evidence mainly turns up at autopsy, when CD8+ T cells are found in places they do not belong, like dorsal root ganglia. A second aspect of this problem is that CD8+ T cells also invade endothelial tissues like the walls of blood vessels in some cases where viral etiology is suspected. There is a continuum between endothelial dysfunction and obscure heart problems like diastolic dysfunction, or even idiopathic cardiomyopathy. This makes them a common factor in some very difficult medical mysteries involving degenerative disease of either nervous systems (CNS or autonomic) or the cardiovascular system.

NK17 likes this.
  5. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    Interesting for us because CD8+ T cell "exhaustion" is the second common immune dysfunction in ME/CFS after low NK cell function/number. Whether the two different immune profiles indicated different illnesses, different stages of the same illness, or different bodily responses to the same illness is completely unknown, as far as I've seen so far.

As one of those with low CD8+ cell numbers, attributed by my doc to exhaustion from chronic infection, I'd love to have a crack at nivolumab. ;)

NK17 likes this.
  6. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    It is currently in phase II or III for several types of cancer - this in addition to showing ""unprecedented response rates" in metastatic melanoma.

SOC likes this.
  7. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    @SOC, were your CD8+ numbers high before they went low or were they always low?

8. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    I've only had immune testing relatively recently -- post Valcyte. My CD8+ numbers have been low as long as they've been tested, so for a couple of years.

Ema likes this.
  9. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

Taking two separate trends in scattered evidence together, I would guess that CD8+ T cell numbers in samples of peripheral blood were down because those cells were invading tissues rather than loafing around in the bloodstream. The cells were still in the body, they just weren't where they were expected to be, or where they were easy to measure.

This is a classic problem in biological measurements. You can build a theory based on the idea the cell numbers are deficient, or cells are inactive, simply because you are looking in the wrong physiological compartment. In fact they may be present in considerable numbers, just not where you looked, and quite active doing things you had not imagined. You can guess how much the resulting theories are worth.

maryb, Ema and NK17 like this.
  10. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Please print that on a T shirt and hand it out to med students on their first day of class before they learn to treat labs and not their actual live patients.

11. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    more tidbits related to PD-1: blocking this receptors results in drastic lowering of viral loads in various types of infections (didn't come across any research on EBV or herpesviruses). It has been suggested as worth trialling for control of HIV and hepatitis

Here we report that serial dosing with anti–PD-1 antibodies for several weeks resulted in a significant drop in viremia in one of three treated animals. The virologic response was associated with recovery of intrahepatic CD4+ and CD8+ T-cell responses.

This paper
    PD-L1 expression is characteristic of a subset of aggressive B-cell lymphomas and virus-associated malignancies
    -
    talks about PD-1 expression in various types of cancers, could again be relevant to ME considering different types mentioned here?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    SOC and maryb like this.

See more popular forum discussions.