• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Immune system activation and depression

Skippa

Anti-BS
Well, carrying the diagnosis of both depression and CFS, it is a race as to which school can provide me a "fix the immune system and make me better" pill first! I'm in the queue for both :D

I note the article is delving into the role of inflammation a lot.

But wait! Didn't @Hip get there first?

We have out very own researcher right here proposing this for ages, somebody send these guys a link to Hips thread!

Imagine, if you will, a Venn diagram. One circle is labeled depression, the other circle is labeled ME/CFS.

The area where the two circles intersect should be known as Hip's Disease.

Hip

But wait! Didn't @Hip get there first?

I saw some early studies published around a decade ago that began investigating the link between inflammatory cytokines and depression (refs: 1 2 3). So this idea that brain inflammation might cause depression has been around a while.

My theories and successful experimental treatments (detailed here and here) were more focused the role of inflammatory cytokines and brain inflammation in generalized anxiety disorder, and how to treat anxiety by a cocktail of supplements that reduce neuroinflammation.

As the above news item indicates, research on the neuroinflammation–depression link now seem to be gathering more momentum.

But as yet, I have not seen any research or published papers investigating the neuroinflammation–anxiety link, apart from this one (which calls for more research into inflammation and anxiety).

By the way, @Skippa, in response to your thread asking for antidepressant mood enhancers supps and strategies, I am in the process of compiling a list of all the supplements and drugs that I have found useful in combatting depression, and will post these soon in a new thread. I have been struggling with comorbid depression for many years now, a depression that appears to be caused by the same virus that trigger my ME/CFS.

I have not had much success with standard depression treatments such as SSRIs or TCAs, so have been experimenting with unusual and off-label treatments.

Last edited:

FMMM1

Good program but I wish they'd provide further information re the inflammation biomarkers e.g. one contributor spoke of a marker being raised from 0.7 (normal) to 40 but didn't identify which one. I suspect they're referring to the cytokines which Mady Hornig and Ian Lipkin showing were elevated in their 2015 paper on ME/CFS [published in Molecular Psychiatry]. There may be a benefit to those with ME/CFS e.g. if they look closer and try to understand the inflammation process (i.e. cause of elevated biomarkers/cytokines) or identify further autoimmune antibodies [(one of my interests) - unlikely]. Mandy Hornig has (from memory) spoken on how understanding ME/CFS may help to understand/treat psychiatric conditions and been challenged re same. Amasing how seemingly unrelated areas of research can overlap.