1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and Beating the Clock
For Jody Smith, the ticking of a clock was enough at one time to chase her back to her bed. But with the passage of time, she has been able to reclaim her living room ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Immune suppressants?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by xrayspex, Sep 24, 2012.

1. xrayspex

xrayspex Senior Member

u.s.a.
    Have many of you tried immune suppressants, either prescription or natural? If so any decrease of CFS symptoms?
  2. LisaGoddard

LisaGoddard Senior Member

I would be really interested to know of any answers to this as I can't get my immune system to calm down. I have tried immune modulators (green tea, imunovir, lactoferrin..) but they stimulate it. I have tried aspirin (got bleeding problems) and ibuprofen (got rebound inflammation). I may have had some positive results with the nsaid celecoxib but only had 10 tablets so too short treatment to really tell.
    Hope someone knows some answers..
  3. elbosque

elbosque

I didn't have any positive outcomes on imunovir. I take substantial amounts ibuprofin for pain and inflamation. But I don't think that impacts the immune system. I have now been on this compounded form of vitamin B12 which I injected once per week which can make me sick for a day but then gives me 3-5 days of feeling a lot better. Now my doctor has me injecting it once every two weeks and I really notice the difference in both how I feel more fluish symptoms and increased mental and physical fatigue. So it must be doing something to my immune system. He told me that he and other doctors suspect that some people with ME/CFS have reduced B12 levels in their brain. My B12 levels in my blood were fine on all the tests. But according to my doctor, sufficient B12 levels in blood do not automatically translate to sufficient B12 levels in the brain. That said, I have not had any immune tests done to prove that these B12 injections have modulated my immune system. I just don't feel the symptoms that I usually have.
  4. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    My doc said that ibuprofin does suppress the immune system, but not in the best way for those of us with an over-activated immune system. He didn't want me to take it even though it does reduce inflammation. Tough though, as there are not a lot of good choices here.

Sushi
  5. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Curcumin is a herb/spice that has anti-inflammatory properties.
    Lots of antioxidants.
    Otherwise look into NMDA antagonists, there have been a few threads on this of late here, many are drugs, some easier to come by then others.
    Let us all knw if you find something really helpful though.

cheers!!!
  6. Adster

Adster Senior Member

Australia
    I think curcumin shifts the immune system toward Th2, so maybe worth being a bit careful with that one as it has been suggested many with this illness are Th2 biased. Curcumin is good for MS though, I think.
  7. LisaGoddard

LisaGoddard Senior Member

I have tried cucurmin a few times and each time it made me feel really, horribly fluey sick. I have been puzzled by that and I have been thinking perhaps I just needed to persist with it. But perhaps the problems is the Th2 shift.

See more popular forum discussions.