1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Immune modulators with antivirals and/or antibiotics counter productive?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by knackers323, Nov 20, 2013.

1. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

I am trying to understand how the immune system works, so please bear with me.

If you were trying to treat an infection with antivirals or antibiotics, would it be wise to try to re-route the immune system with an immune modulator to lessen symptoms at the same time?
  2. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Many doctors do treat in this manner. I am thinking specifically of LDN in combo with antivitirals and/or antibiotics.

Sushi
  3. knackers323

Ha, it seems I have much to learn.

I would have thought that if the th1 arm was over active it is probably trying to tackle an infection.

If you were to take abx or antivirals to treat that infection, then wouldn't it be better to have the help of the immune system also rather than try to change its mode of action?

Does LDN work on raising a th1 or th2 response though? Doesn't it provide benefits through raising endorphins
  4. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I am told that more of us are overbalanced toward Th2. LDN's effect translates to an immune response but I don't know the mechanism.

Sushi
  5. knackers323

Yes I'm pretty sure cfs is thought to be a th2 response but I am getting some relief from pycnogenol that is meant to boost th2. ?

See more popular forum discussions.