• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Immune Dysfunction in ME / CFS

JBB

Mady Horning says:

The inflammation of ME/CFS appears to give way, over time (in our analysis, >3 years), to what appears to be a pattern not dissimilar to premature aging of the immune system (“immune exhaustion” or “immunosenescence”). Typically, high levels of inflammation are associated with high rates of cardiovascular disease, through a process whereby inflammatory cytokines drive atherosclerosis and potentially myocardial infarctions (heart attacks). This does not seem to be the case in ME/CFS over time, at least not in the majority of patients. Thus, we believe that there is a much different process that is affecting the function of the immune system – and we’re working actively to understand that process. Why the immune system is so dysregulated must be understood.

Has "immune exhaustion" or "immonosenescense" been shown in any other diseases? How about chronic infectious diseases? Autoimmune diseases?

Best wishes,

JBB

Jon_Tradicionali

Alone & Wandering
Yes many. HIV and HepB/C for example.

Immune exhaustion can occur due to a whole host of reasons/infections. One aquires an infection, T cells are signalled to circulate and attack pathogen. From there on there a few scenarios, T cells eliminate pathogen but continue being secreted and circulate for a pathogen that no longer exists. This leads to T cell exhaustion and of course immune system exhaustion.

Other scenario, T cells continue trying to eliminate an infection but never manage to fully do so. Result: naive T cells never convert to memory T cells and immune system chronically attacks a pathogen which it cannot eliminate leading once again to exhaustion.

Recent compound found to restore functionality of T cells:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25744061/?i=1&from=t cell exhaustion

Overview of T cell exhaustion from persistant viral infections:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25620767/?i=22&from=t cell exhaustion

I've oversimplified it a little but only for easier readability.

@Jon_Tradicionali

The "overview of T cell exhaustion from persistent vial infection" paper you posted is a good and extensive overview linking a huge range of publications.

Just what I was looking for.

Thank you Jon

@JBB

The overall immune "dis-regulation" you see in patients with ME is a immune activation (@times part inflammatory/SIRS), chronic immune suppression ( T-reg ect.) and functional immune exhaustion (CD8+ and NK cells).

It looks like the immune foot print of an ongoing antigen stimulation (over many years) -- hence chronic pathogen induced (complex) immune response -- chronic infection.

The immune response can vary/ fluctuate/change during the long course of a chronic infection (depending on the nature of the pathogen and host) and can cause additional complications like co-infections and co-morbid conditions (maybe autoimmune or neoplastic disease).

If you look at this "immune foot" print as a whole, and in context of what is known about cluster outbreaks of ME, AND the disproportionate amount of mothers with ME having children with ME, there is very little doubt that ME is an acquired (transmittable) complex chronic infection (disease).

Last edited:

JBB

Great links and summary @Jon_Tradicionali thanks.

Thanks @bambi. I agree, everything points to pathogen involvement at this point. I look forward to Lipkins further studies which hopefully will shine some light on what we are dealing with.

Many thanks,

JBB