1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Immune cell function and phenotypes are possible diagnostic markers for CFS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Daisymay, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member

Interesting research on natural killer cell function, though they are loking at very small numbers of patients so far.

"decreases in neutrophil respiratory burst" - wonder if this fitsa in with Dr Myhill's paper on reduced mitochondrial functioning?

BW,

Daisymay

http://www.translational-medicine.com/content/8/1/1

Immune and hemorheological changes in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Ekua W Brenu email, Donald R Staines email, Oguz K Baskurt email, Kevin J Ashton email, Sandra B Ramos email, Rhys M Christy email and Sonya M Marshall-Gradisnik email

Journal of Translational Medicine 2010, 8:1doi:10.1186/1479-5876-8-1
    Published: 11 January 2010
    Abstract (provisional)

Background

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) is a multifactorial disorder that affects various physiological systems including immune and neurological systems. The immune system has been substantially examined in CFS with equivocal results, however, little is known about the role of neutrophils and natural killer (NK) phenotypes in the pathomechanism of this disorder. Additionally, the role of erythrocyte rheological characteristics in CFS has not been fully expounded. The objective of this present study was to determine deficiencies in lymphocyte function and erythrocyte rheology in CFS patients.
    Methods

Flow cytometric measurements were performed for neutrophil function, lymphocyte numbers, NK phenotypes (CD56dimCD16+ and CD56brightCD16-) and NK cytotoxic activity. Erythrocyte aggregation, deformability and fibrinogen levels were also assessed.
    Results

CFS patients (n = 10) had significant decreases in neutrophil respiratory burst, NK cytotoxic activity and CD56brightCD16- NK phenotypes in comparison to healthy controls (n = 10). However, hemorheological characteristics, aggregation, deformability and fibrinogen, lymphocyte numbers and CD56dimCD16+ NK cells were similar between groups.
    Conclusion

Immune dysfunction may therefore be an important contributory factor to the mechanism of CFS, as indicated by decreases in neutrophil respiratory burst, NK cell activity and NK phenotypes. Thus, immune cell function and phenotypes are possible diagnostic markers for CFS.

See more popular forum discussions.