• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Immune Cell Abnormalities -- Any thoughts

SOC

My 3 different immune tests show a number of immune cell number abnormalities over about a year, but two oddities really stand out. My CD8+CD95+ has been consistently way, way below normal range -- basically 0 in number and percent. Complementing that, my CD4+CD38+ has been consistently way, way above normal range -- about 5x the highest end of the normal range.

My T-Cytotoxic/Suppressor CD3+CD8+ cells are consistently significantly low, but not so crazy out-of-range as the above two types of cells.

Another set that seem odd are CD3-CD8 bright, CD3+CD8 bright CD56+, CD3+CD8 dim CD56+, CD3+CD56+CD8+ which are all 0. That data is all for research, not patient treatment use, and there are no expected ranges listed. Anybody know anything about these? heapsreal -- Do you know something about bright and dim cells and ME/CFS?

And finally, the good ole Natural Killer cells. Mine are a bit puzzling. In number, they were normal except 2 weeks after surgery when they were high. Probably normal behavior.

Activity, though, is another story. In my very first test NKC activity was at the high end of normal -- somewhat unexpected. Nine months later and 2 weeks after surgery, NKC activity was low which seems the wrong direction. :confused: Then, 2 months after that, NKC activity was high. o_O So, I've managed to cover the range there -- low, normal, and high -- in less than a year.

Any ideas or comments would be appreciated.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Dim and bright cells I think distinguishes or further break down the nk cells into 2 different categories. Cant remember off the top of my head the different functions but havent read anything about dim and bright t cells just nk, the bright cells that are fou d to have low function in cfs. Generally speaking cd8 counts are high. My cd3 is also high. Maybe your cd8 is low due to valcytes bone marrow suppression effects. I think this may have happened to my neutrophils. I remember reading that some people keep making improvement after stopping valcyte. I wonder if this has to do with the immune system coming back online. I dont know if its valcyte or just another whacky cfs thing. Maybe just need time and immune supps???

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Alot of this type of testing is still only used in research so dont think theres alot of concrete answers. Best educated guess would be that anything high is sign immune system is fighting something and anything low is a tired immune system or post infectious???

Otis

Señor Mumbler
My CD8+CD95+ has been consistently way, way below normal range -- basically 0 in number and percent.

I just got the exact same thing in a set of labs I had done. I'm going to ask my doc about this when we speak next. If I learn anything I'll let you know.

My NK cell function is essentially zilch consistently.