The Power and Pitfalls of Omics: George Davey Smith’s storming talk at ME/CFS conference
Read about the talk that stole the show at a recent ME/CFS conference in Simon McGrath's two-part blog.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Imipramine and Paroxetine

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Beyond, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Beyond

Beyond Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!

Murcia, Spain
    How bad are these? My parents are finally firm in the allopathy and the GP prescribed me these. I tried to convince him that I would only take Imipramine but he couldn´t listen to me. I am especially wary of the SSRI. It seems I´ll have to take them at least for 15 days. My hypericum extract is almost here but they say no. I wanted to try that first... I don´t know what I will do. I have read many testimonies against paroxetine in the net.

2. adreno

adreno Learned helplessness

Europe
    Imipramine probably isn't that bad in small doses, say 10mg. Paroxetine is a pretty horrible SSRI though, others are better. What's the prescription for? Depression? Anxiety? Fatigue?

3. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Paroxetine tends to be the least tolerated SSRI. It has a very short half life so very difficult to discontinue. Can be very effective for OCD though.

4. Kina

Kina Moderation Team Lead

Ontario, Canada
    I was prescribed Imipramine ages ago for sleep -- low doses gave me terrible dry mouth and did nothing for my sleep. That being said, reactions can be quite unpredictable as they vary over individuals.

I have also read where Paroxetine isn't well tolerated. If you do take it, a slow taper off them when you are finished might be prudent.

Why are you being prescribed these meds?

5. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I had a terrible reaction to the SSRI citalopram: it created intense suicidal ideation within an hour of taking one pill, and this horrible state lasted for the entire day, until this drug wore off. Suicidal ideation reactions are a known side effect of SSRIs in a small minority of people.

Interestingly, I had taken citalopram once before, just prior to my ME/CFS, and at that time I did not experience this bad side effect.

Imipramine used to be my favorite antidepressant for several years, but I did not take this drug on a regular basis. If I felt my depression levels increasing, I would then start taking 10 to 25 mg of imipramine each day for a week or so. But as my depression comes and goes, I tended to stop taking imipramine once I feel better. I found imipramine works quite well when used like this on this temporary basis.

My favorite antidepressant now is very low dose (12.5 to 25 mg) amisulpride. This drug I find provides such a clean, natural mood boost, that I decided to take it all the time. For me, a clean, natural mood boost is very important. With imipramine, I found that the mood boost does help you overcome depression, but imipramine did not feel entirely natural.

It is hard to describe what I mean by a "natural" mood boost, but an analogy might be the difference between a true spontaneous smile, which is natural, and a "social smile" that you deliberately put on yourself as a social requirement. To me, the antidepressant effect of very low dose amisulpride feels like a true spontaneous smile, whereas the antidepressant effect of imipramine feels a bit like an artificial social smile. That not a precise analogy, but hopefully it gives you an idea of what I am talking about.

Spanish saffron 60 mg daily is also a very useful antidepressant with a natural feeling. There are studies showing that saffron has similar antidepressant efficacy to the SSRI Prozac. Saffron works on the serotonin system. I regularly take 60 mg of Spanish saffron stamens daily, along with 12.5 g of amisulpride.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    Beyond likes this.
  6. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

If you are uncomfortable with the meds.prescribed, you might want to ask about other AD' options available for pain.

7. Beyond

Murcia, Spain
    I managed to fight my parents until Paroxetine was out of the question. In fact I am now just taking CLOMIPRAMINE. The doc told me Imipramine but ended prescribing me Tofranil. It is for "OCD". He acts like I have a somatoform disorder, the usual shit, but this time the shit has splattered me, because I am taking this clomipramine (forced) and I feel worse as I was expecting.

Because of a stupid and dangerous doctor that gets tense when I say "hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis". He says its all an "obsession". My parents are eager to buy that crap.

@Hip Amisulpride eh? I want to try that. In fact, talking about natural alternatives, I received yesterday two bottles of high quality Hypericum but my parents hid it. Bad timing. I am pushing hard for them to let me try Hypericum and drop these awful drugs. I hate psych drugs.

8. Hip

Hip Senior Member

@Beyond
    You certainly do seem to be having more than your fair share of problems from family members.

Note that Tofranil is just a brand name for the drug imipramine.

This info might be useful:
    It is certainly worth trying these drugs, because you may well find them beneficial. But I can totally understand how you dislike these things being "forced down your throat" by a persuasive doctor/parents. I myself only feel comfortable about trying supplements or drugs under my own terms, in my own timescale, so that I can do the testing carefully and gently.

I would recommend you keep a diary/journal of your results: in a word processor document, you just need to write down the date and time, the drug/supplement, and the dose taken. Then note any good or bad reactions that you have to that medication in the subsequent days. These notes can be very useful at a later date, as most people with ME/CFS have bad memories, so they may forget what effects a medication has for them.

leela and Beyond like this.
  9. Beyond

Murcia, Spain
    Talking about brain fog, I messed up the name of the drug. It is ANAFRANIL, which is Clomipramine, a close relative of Imipramine.

10. Beyond

Murcia, Spain
    @Hip doesn´t amisulpride increase prolactin? I have had high prolactin and still have some libido issues. I want to try this med but I wonder if it can decrease my sexual function.

An interesting quote I found investigating amisulpride:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  11. Hip

Hip Senior Member

@Beyond
    Yes I notice a some decreases in libido from amisulpride, even at the very low dose of 12.5 mg (¼ of a 50 mg tablet) that I am taking. I presume this arises from the increase in prolactin. I find no physical sexual problems from amisulpride; it is just the sexual desire is mentally reduced a little.

In this thread about the benefits of amisulpride for ME/CFS, Adreno mentions that pantethine (a form of vitamin B5 pantothenic acid) should be an inhibitor of prolactin, so taking pantethine with amisulpride may fix the libido effects.

I keep meaning to try pantethine with my amisulpride.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    Beyond likes this.
  12. Beyond

Murcia, Spain
    In fact I am taking pantethine 950 mgs per day and have found a subtle but noticeable improvement in libido and sexual function. This is because I tend to have highish prolactin for some reason. I say subtle because I have taken aphrodisiacs and I use their effects to compare.

See more popular forum discussions.