Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Imagining exercise can strengthen muscle

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Marco, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    barbc56, picante, rosie26 and 9 others like this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Mr psychologist, just imagine that you were paid for the therapy. I'm sure the power of mind body magic will make it real.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
    barbc56, Valentijn, dancer and 2 others like this.
  3. Aurator

Aurator Senior Member

This sounds disturbingly like a close cousin to a similar "revelation" we've been on the receiving end of for years:
    Scientists discover just IMAGINING being unwell can make you unwell.

MeSci, picante, barbc56 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

This past night I dreamt I was riding a tall monocycle [​IMG] and woke up with PEM/fatigue :grumpy:

MeSci, Valentijn, barbc56 and 3 others like this.
  5. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    I think I'll imagine my house clean! :D (I hated house cleaning before I got CFS, still hate it but can't do it any more, and so hate having a dirty house - ya can't win!)

6. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

I will imagine someone else cleaning my place. That way, I won't get PEM.:rolleyes:

Barb

MeSci, Valentijn, picante and 3 others like this.
  7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    That was my first thought when I read this several days ago.

This conclusion is probably bogus, given that a huge research base already exists and has other conclusions.

I looked into this idea nearly two years ago when I broke my leg.

Muscle strength may have nothing to do with their claim. In prolonged limb immobilization the brain connections that govern limb use atrophy. What they showed is that activating these pathways keeps them from atrophy for a bit longer. So the basic data is probably right, but the interpretation is probably bogus.

Prolonged immobilization will weaken a muscle, but the brain dysfunction is by far the most damaging. You can recondition muscle fast (unless you have something else wrong like ME) but the brain rewiring is hard to fix if it atrophies too much.

I have not read the full paper, so I don't want to state more. However I am extremely dubious about the claim.

Valentijn, barbc56, Keela Too and 4 others like this.
  8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Oh, but the secret is to imagine someone else imagining yet another someone else cleaning your place. ;):ninja::rofl:

9. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    I'm imagining myself healthy, thinner, and richer.

Valentijn, barbc56 and Gondwanaland like this.
  10. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    I went to a very talented and educated physical therapist about my low back pain, and this is what she found -- missing muscle-brain connections. Every exercise she gave me was designed to reconnect the brain wiring, as well as spare my energy stores. (Almost all of them are lying-down exercises.)

I have heard that babies dream about performing physical movements before they do them. It's why they spend so much time sleeping. (How on earth would anyone figure that out, though?)

When learning Argentine tango (or any other dance), it really helps to go over a sequence mentally. Over and over. The students who don't retain anything new from a workshop (most of them) are the ones who don't do this. Here today, gone tomorrow.

The brain is fascinating. When I was 16, my French teacher gave me a novel to read over the summer. I started dreaming in French. When I took Russian in college, French kept popping out of my mouth initially. When I taught college French, some students had interference from their first second-language. The brain just goes right into second-language mode, once it knows that mode. N'est-ce pas, @Gondwanaland?

11. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

This is way to philosophical for me..:redface:

How many people does it take to imagine changing a lightbulb before the lightbulb is actually changed?

This is some really deep S&%#. The implications are mind boggling.:lol:

Barb

12. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    Imagine world peace. Imagine soldiers imagining world peace. Imagine war profiteers all stuck on an island off by themselves. Imagine Dick Cheney reincarnated in Afghanistan as a female.

Yeah, you can go anywhere with this. :D

13. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

Learning German 20 years ago totally blocked my skills in English back then. :smug: :cautious: :confused:
    Of course my German is totally blocked right now :meh:

barbc56 and picante like this.
  14. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

How about younger? Can I imagine away all of the years I have lost to this illness? :grumpy:

barbc56 and WillowJ like this.
  15. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    Younger! That's good. And better looking. Also smarter, more musical, and more athletic. And I'd like a different set of relatives.

Little Bluestem likes this.
  16. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

:lol:

Barb

See more popular forum discussions.