August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

I'm very confused about the pain meds.....

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by Paralee, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Paralee

Paralee Senior Member

USA
    Sancar likes this.
  2. Hip

Hip Senior Member

It looks like the naltrexone is there to prevent abuse:

Sancar and Paralee like this.
  3. Paralee

Paralee Senior Member

USA
    Thanks @Hip , but all they wrote about it is you couldn't take opiods with naltrexone, it would counter act in a bad way. They're switching horses in mid stream....or they accidently "misspoke".
    Directions were not to take hydrocodone, etc for at least two days before taking naltrexone or there could be a reaction.
    Oh well, I'm sure you're right on the reason, maybe it's because it's ER.

Thanks. Paralee

I knew with all the hoop-la about how horrible Hydrocodone was they were just coming out with something else that cost a lot more money, I've seen it too many times.
    That's the trouble with getting old, you just start noticing too much. :)

4. eljefe19

eljefe19

Hydrocodone is not heroin...

5. Paralee

Paralee Senior Member

USA
    @eljefe19 , I know it isn't the same, but that's what the news was trying to associate it with.

I went to my pcp yesterday and asked him about it, and he agreed with @Hip , only I thought he was saying to keep from getting addicted or "high" or naltrexone. That must have been a misunderstanding on my end because I looked it up again and naltrexone is an opiode antagonist. I was thinking the opposite, so that's where my lack of thinking gets me......a whole thread based on my misunderstanding to begin with.

Sorry, everyone.

*GG* likes this.
  6. panckage

panckage Senior Member

Vancouver, BC
    For what's it's worth I take kratom a little less than 2 out every 3 days usually 8g a day and I have had no interactions between naltrexone and kratom (kratom works on mu and kappa opioid receptors)

Ultra low dose naltrexone is actually used with opioids to increase effects/prevent tolerance. It's the opposite effect of regular (50mg) dose naltrexone.

As for what we use, LDN I have read conflicting reports how it affects opioids. I'm not sure what the typical reaction is. Some people seem to be ok, where as others have had trouble. Dose related maybe?

Sancar likes this.
  7. Paralee

Paralee Senior Member

USA
    @panckage, may be dose related, but I also think it could sometimes be genetic? I remember a report where I was supposed to be able to take LDN.....I have tried it, and the first morning I remember laying under the covers for a couple of minutes thinking......what am I? who am I? Where am I? Where did this dog come from? what's the dog's name? I hear someone doing something? I wonder who it is? Do I know them? LOL, I was slow to come around.

panckage likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.