• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I'm very confused about the pain meds.....

Hip

It looks like the naltrexone is there to prevent abuse:
Troxyca ER capsules are formulated to be abuse-deterrent, and contain extended-release oxycodone pellets with a sequestered naltrexone core. The naltrexone remains sequestered while the capsules are taken as directed. If however, the pellets are crushed, the sequestered naltrexone is released and works to counteract the effects of oxycodone.

Source: 1

Paralee

Thanks @Hip , but all they wrote about it is you couldn't take opiods with naltrexone, it would counter act in a bad way. They're switching horses in mid stream....or they accidently "misspoke".
Directions were not to take hydrocodone, etc for at least two days before taking naltrexone or there could be a reaction.
Oh well, I'm sure you're right on the reason, maybe it's because it's ER.

Thanks. Paralee

I knew with all the hoop-la about how horrible Hydrocodone was they were just coming out with something else that cost a lot more money, I've seen it too many times.
That's the trouble with getting old, you just start noticing too much. :)

Paralee

@eljefe19 , I know it isn't the same, but that's what the news was trying to associate it with.

I went to my pcp yesterday and asked him about it, and he agreed with @Hip , only I thought he was saying to keep from getting addicted or "high" or naltrexone. That must have been a misunderstanding on my end because I looked it up again and naltrexone is an opiode antagonist. I was thinking the opposite, so that's where my lack of thinking gets me......a whole thread based on my misunderstanding to begin with.

Sorry, everyone.

panckage

For what's it's worth I take kratom a little less than 2 out every 3 days usually 8g a day and I have had no interactions between naltrexone and kratom (kratom works on mu and kappa opioid receptors)

Ultra low dose naltrexone is actually used with opioids to increase effects/prevent tolerance. It's the opposite effect of regular (50mg) dose naltrexone.

As for what we use, LDN I have read conflicting reports how it affects opioids. I'm not sure what the typical reaction is. Some people seem to be ok, where as others have had trouble. Dose related maybe?

Paralee

@panckage, may be dose related, but I also think it could sometimes be genetic? I remember a report where I was supposed to be able to take LDN.....I have tried it, and the first morning I remember laying under the covers for a couple of minutes thinking......what am I? who am I? Where am I? Where did this dog come from? what's the dog's name? I hear someone doing something? I wonder who it is? Do I know them? LOL, I was slow to come around.