• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I'm new here; and really confused about symptoms. Please help.

First off let me give you my background.

I'm 19 and was diagnosed with SLE lupus at age 17. I also have ITP (blood disorder), fibromyalgia, hashimotos thyroiditis, and sjogrens syndrome.
My brother who is 36 was found to have CFS at age 17, and recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia.

How I discovered this site: I frequently develop white spots on my soft palate surrounded my red and inflamed tissue. They cause a slightly sore throat but I do not have a fever and whenever tested am negative for strep.

While browsing photos to see if these spots were related to the lupus/ autoimmune issues I saw the post about the "Crimson Crescents". This interested me very much because I have these and never knew what they were. I had a tonsillectomy at age 11 because of chronic strep throat, so I always figured the red was just a side effect of that. I also have a swollen posterior cervical lymph node that has not disappeared in months. My Rhuematologist says it could be from anything and is still small enough to not be a problem.

Anyway, with all of this jumbled information I was wondering if someone could help me make some connections/ conclusions. Everything seems to be too much of a coincidence and I am wondering if I could have CFS along with my brother or if the crescents can also be a symptom of fibro, etc. or if there are no connections what-so-ever.

Thank you for taking the time to read this

Im going to attach a picture as well.

(Please excuse my awful mouth, sjogrens has really done a number on it already.) The white and red sore will be on what is my left side of the throat next to my uvula, along with the most apparent crescent (or what I think is one).

Megan

Attachments

• pic of throat right side up.jpg
    pic of throat right side up.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 12

Valentijn

Megan0788
I think the most distinctive symptom of ME/CFS would be post-exertional malaise (PEM). Basically you'd feel like you got ran over by a truck and have some flu-like symptoms consistently 24 hours or so after exertion.

ME definitely has immune system involvement, and probably autoimmune issues as well, so it may have similarities with a lot of other disease based on that. But PEM is relatively unique.