• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I'm homozygous for MTHFR... just started taking L-methylfolate... can it cause this?

I was just getting over a cold, so i thought my symptoms were because of that, however, i got a sore throat on the day i started taking l-methylfolate 1000mcgs. i never get sore throats that last like this. anyway, when i woke up this morning, i thought i was getting better and then took the methylfolate (thinking it had nothing to do with my sore throat) and bam, sore throat came back. is it possible that my sore throat is being caused by this folate? i am worried since i never really get sore throats like this.

i hope i get some replies soon. by the way, i am not taking any other b vitamin supplements... i am only taking my regular probiotic (have been for a long time) and that's pretty much it. Thanks so much!

Christopher

Supporting methylation often gives me a sore throat. My overall level of functioning improves from methylating along with the sore throat, so I wouldn't worry.

Hi Christopher, thanks so much for your response. I am glad to know that it has been known to cause the sore throat. If you continue to take it, does the sore throat tend to go away? or should I just get used to it, lol.?