Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Illness specific cognitive biases in CFS independent of mood and attentional control deficits

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

http://www.ehps2016.org/files/EHPS2016_Abstracts_Book_08082016.pdf

Via this tweet:

2. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Nah, they haven't.

3. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member

Tasmania
    Correlation doesn't mean the causation goes in the direction you'd like it to:bang-head:. Just how much "research" makes this fundamental mistake!

4. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    For some reason this popped up on my Google scholar. Pretty ridiculous. "Sick people pay more attention to words to do with sickness".

Oh do they.

Do.

They.

It's a breakthrough. :rolleyes:

Do people with cancer pay more attention to words like 'tumor' and 'malignancy'?

Of course.

It's a matter of paying attention of what matters to you. This isn't the same as depressive patients paying more attention to words that have negative connotations. Chalder et al consistently attempt to overlay ME with psychological precepts, and it's like they're not even thinking at all of how the study seems from any point of view other than their own.

-J

5. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

Is there an emoji for "snorts derisively"?

Solstice and JaimeS like this.
  6. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    Actually, I think this is a consistent effort really to convince themselves and their acolytes: an echo-chamber of "see, we're right!" "See, we're right!"

I can't imagine that this sort of study is convincing to anybody who isn't already convinced. It's to solidify those people's narrative for themselves, not for us or even for other researchers: to justify their continued research / funding, and the way that they treat patients.

Solstice and Zombie_Lurker like this.
  7. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

Invisible Woman, Solstice and JaimeS like this.

See more popular forum discussions.