• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Illness progression

How does your ME look?

• Sudden onset: stable

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Sudden onset: getting worse over time

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Sudden onset: fluctuating

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • sudden onset: in remission now

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If ill >1 yr: Gradual onset: stable for long time

• If Ill >1 yr: Gradual onset: getting worse

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Gradual onset: fluctuating

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Gradual onset: in remission

• Different

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters

anne_likes_red

I chose the second option "Sudden onset: getting worse over time"
I had an inititating event as a child 26 years ago - a severe protozoal infection and half the hospital pharmacy thrown at it. Diagnosis of ME 6 years later after struggling along varying between a 5 - 7 on Bells scale.
I had some treatment (HBOT and other complimentary treatments) 14 years ago and stayed at a steady 7 - 8 for a couple of years then crashed badly with Mono. Have struggled between a 2 and 5 on Bells scale ever since. I have all the classic symptoms, and I believe this illness is progressive.

sleepy237

Hii Leaves good poll my answer Sudden onset: fluctuating. Although im mostly lying down many of my symptoms have appeared to disappear and other new ones have appeared. I have never had what I could call a real remission over the past three years a couple of days of improved functioning. Really find it hard to answer whether I aM getting worse or not, still bed bound most of the time so definitely cant say im improving. On myhills scale i judged myself as an 18 and found it hard to rate between 10 and 30. take care ~Sleepy

Enid

Difficult one this but chose gradual onset (2 months from initial sore throat to decline). And fluctuating due to changing symptoms (some go and new ones appear -perhaps reactive).

leaves

OooOoh I didn't include the option of improvement..:headache:
Can't change it now I don't think..

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Gradual onset 18 years ago. Finally got treatment, improvement. My problem now is POTS. That began two years ago. Pots is now improving also. Very slowly, but doing much better.

alex3619

Hi, this is actually a tricky poll. I answered over 1 yr, gradual onset, getting worse. In some ways I have been stable for years, others I have fluctuations, and in other ways I am slowly declining and its not looking good. This is a very difficult illness to define what is happening. Bye, Alex

pine108kell

Why is "improving" not an option ? I know it is an endlesss struggle and no one gets cured, but there are many people that have improved over time, or at least report that they do. Although I would put myself in "fluctuating" category, I am mostly better than I was five years ago.