August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

ILLNESS IS WORK: Revisiting the concept of illness careers etc with ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Free full text:http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1363459315628044

Sympathetic article.

Webdog, Sean, ahimsa and 5 others like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Hutan, Webdog, 2kidswithME and 3 others like this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Webdog, 2kidswithME, barbc56 and 3 others like this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

barbc56, ScottTriGuy and Cheesus like this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Some sociological texts can be difficult to read with lots of jargon and big words. This person is presumably not a native speaker which means it is less of an issue with this paper.

TiredSam, barbc56 and Valentijn like this.
  6. Old Bones

Old Bones GOING, going . . .

Yes, a sympathetic article, @Dolphin , thanks for posting. I also found this segment, which followed your quote above, interesting. It helps to explain some of the challenges ME advocates experience.

"In some cases, prestige is not in itself a very important factor, because it is impossible for patients to change both the kind of illness they have and the prestige level with which it is associated. The first of these facts will be changed mainly in cases of misdiagnosis, while the second fact will likely change rather slowly. There are cases in which diseases gradually lose their cultural stigma, with cancer as perhaps the most salient example (Mukherjee, 2010), but prestige levels appear to be sociocultural constructs that are relatively stable over time (Album 1991, Album and Westin 2008, Grue et al., 2015)."

Bolding is mine.

7. ahimsa

ahimsa Sick since 1990

Oregon, USA
    @Dolphin

Thank you for posting the link and the extracts.

This is not the type of paper I ever thought I'd want to read but those extracts have intrigued me. So I have downloaded the paper and might actually read it in bits and pieces.

And I will definitely pass it on to a friend of mine who has a sociology degree and has ME/CFS (she's not on this forum).

Dolphin likes this.
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I'm not saying it's the most insightful ever piece but it does capture some of the experience. A lot of it could be said with fewer words but I suppose you have to show you know what you're talking about in academic pieces.

ahimsa and TiredSam like this.

See more popular forum discussions.