Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Illegems et al: Group Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by mango, Aug 12, 2016.

1. mango

mango Senior Member

Letter to the editor: Group Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Illegems J.a, b Moorkens G.a, b Van Den Eede F.a,c,d

a Behaviour Therapy Division for Fatigue and Functional Symptoms,
    b Department of Internal Medicine, and
    c University Department of Psychiatry, Antwerp University Hospital, Edegem, and
    d Collaborative Antwerp Psychiatric Research Institute, University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

Psychother Psychosom 2016;85:308 Vol. 85, No. 5, 2016
    DOI:10.1159/000445166

illegems group cbt for cfs.jpg

http://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/445166
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27513528

Bob, Woolie, Valentijn and 7 others like this.
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn The Diabolic Logic

It's so cute when the quacks bicker with each other in journals :love:

3. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    To be honest it's the first time I've seen a "psychotherapy and psychosomatics" quack be critical of another quack's work, so I suppose it's a progress of sorts. Until now there seems to have been some sort of unwritten rule that they offer uncritical and unconditional support to each other, whilst collectively ignoring all evidence from outside their field (except Hitchcock movies of course, which count as "scientific proof"). The writers of this letter will probably be diagnosed with something in response. Not sure whether it's a good thing to see them bickering among each other, or whether I should just be lamenting the waste of paper once again.

4. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    Like Trotskyist sects arguing about the forthcoming revolution.

5. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

:lol:

KauaiWahine, Hutan and Solstice like this.
  6. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

I agree, @TiredSam. In psychosocial medicine, the general rule seems to be: accept anything other believers say (so long as it doesn't threaten your own career), but rigorously criticise anyone who's not "with us". Especially if they present evidence that might suggest psychosocial factors do not play as a big a role as they deeply hope. We've seen this a lot - the soft standards they adopt for themselves, but the high standards they demand for biological research (must be double blind, consistent outcome across multiple studies, large populations, etc).

But of course, this disagreement isn't a genuine disagreement. Its a manoeuver. The authors are justifying why they didn't get as good results as Wiborg et al, and setting the scene for their next "personality" study.

Is is quite funny when you read more closely. They describe a study by Poppe et al that found
    This is funny. "Neuroticism" is an archaic term used to label a pattern of responding on some personality questionnaires - one suggesting the person has a negative mood (depression) and/or high anxiety.

So what they're saying is that CBT can help people who have low mood/anxiety (could be either or both), but it only helps their psychological issues. It doesn't have any impact on their physical wellbeing. So in other words. CBT helps psychological distress, but doesnt impact on the physical complaints at all!

Snowdrop, Cheshire, Esther12 and 6 others like this.
  7. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    This bit is pretty funny (my bolding):
    The Reference Center was shut down in 2012 because an independent scientific evaluation (by the well respected Belgian Health Care Knowledge Centre) shred it to pieces. But instead of going back to the drawing board, they just went on carrying out the same flawed treatment techniques, and just gave the place a different name. It's funny how they still believe their 'experience' is worth more than actual recovery rates (I believe it was something like 8% of people 'feeling better', whatever that means). :rolleyes:

Cheshire, Esther12, Hutan and 10 others like this.
  8. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    I believe this is what passes for "respect" in such circles.

9. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Bickering about the reasons why questionnaire answering behaviour changes after CBT clinical trials?

:whistle:

Woolie and Valentijn like this.
  10. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    All together now,happy clappy

See more popular forum discussions.